Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloads in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DevonSchreiner

DevonSchreiner

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:49 AM

Here's a strange one for you. Our company is slowly starting to make the switch to Windows 7. This includes all of our branches across the US. In our building everything is going great, no problems so far. At one of the branches across the country, any time they try to download anything in Windows 7, it fails about halfway through. All of the other computers running XP or Vista work fine. It is only Windows 7 machines that fail the downloads.

Then the building across the street from us started having the same problem. Any download won't finish. The IT rep over there was advised to update the firmware on her routers and switches and did to no avail. Some of the laptops from these other buildings have been taken home and will download files fine from other networks but as soon as they are in this building they won't finish a download. Any ideas as to what to try next?

Thanks!
Devon Schreiner
Tech Blog - TheTechBlender.com
Personal Website - DevonSchreiner.com
Twitter - @DevonSchreiner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:12 PM

Did your IT do their homework before implementing Windows 7?

There are a couple of driver issues with windows 7 specially with networking. I encountered mine during my initial installation. I updated my Network driver and all was ok. Please check if all your networking equipment is Windows 7 certified.
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#3 DevonSchreiner

DevonSchreiner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:19 AM

Please check if all your networking equipment is Windows 7 certified.

Would the equipment give us a connection in the first place if it wasn't compatible? We can get onto the internet and find the download, it just fails halfway through the download.
Devon Schreiner

#4 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:11 AM

Yes,

Most of the time it would and die out in the middle.

Please check the specifications of PC and the network equipment involved. And cross reference that with the chipset or manufacturers website.

If they have the windows 7 certified logo, a simple driver update from the manufacturer, specially from the NIC vendor.

I had this issue with the Nvdia mobo chipsets, I downloaded the updated drivers and my connection was now ok.
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#5 DevonSchreiner

DevonSchreiner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:56 AM

Ok, the building across the street has an HP ProCurve 2650 and a 2626. I checked everywhere I could think of and nothing specifically said that they were not compatible with Windows 7. The switch is a little older and the manual only went up to Windows XP. Where would I find if it was compatible with Windows 7?
Devon Schreiner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users