Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista wont start, missing Disk driver

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 VictoryX

VictoryX

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:35 PM

I have Vista on my other laptop and suddenly, during a restart it wont start because it is missing system32\drivers\disk. Is there any way to fix this without formatting my C:\ drive or entire computer? I have alot of valuable data and dont want to have to spend money on an external drive... i have no system restore points and windows will not start with "Run windows with Last known good configuration"

Help???

EDIT: I recently installed a Microsoft brand mouse, and old games. (Serious Sam: Second Encounter and Unreal Tournament 1999) Im using 32bit as well. I also believe my computer may have been unplugged by my spouse during a Windows Update.

Edited by VictoryX, 26 July 2010 - 11:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JosiahK

JosiahK

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:36 AM

Since you mentioned the possibility of reinstalling, I am going to assume that you can gain access to an install disk. With an install disk of an equal or newer version of Windows Vista you should be able to run a upgrade install. That would not format the drive and would leave your data intact in a folder named Windows.Old. It would however still require you to reinstall any programs that were on the computer.

Even so it would be best to buy or borrow an external hard drive and back up onto it.
Quod non mortiferum, fortiorem me facit.
I don't read minds. Please help everyone by answering any questions and reporting on the results of any instructions. Query any concerns and explain problems or complications.

#3 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:09 AM

hi,,, just to follow on from JosiahK's reply,,, if you have the windows disc or recovery disc then with this disc in the drive try a system file check,,,

1. Click the Windows button>> All Programs>> Accessories.
2. Right click the Command Prompt option and then select "Run as administrator" from the resulting menu.
3. With the Command Prompt window showing, type in: sfc /scannow [Enter]
4. You will now receive a message that states the scan will now begin. If SFC should find any rogue files that need to be replaced, you may be asked to insert your Windows CD. If the SFC scans without finding any problems, you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".
5. Close the command prompt window.

if this fails to find and fix the issue then also with the windows/recovery disc run a startup repair of the os on the pc,,, you will need to boot from said disc for this one,,, full instructions in the link below :huh:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users