Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sounds in IE or FireFox

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ratdem

ratdem

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:52 PM

Last night I noticed that I'm not getting sounds of any kind in either IE or FireFox. Everything else on my PC plays sounds just fine (WMP, iTunes, etc.) but nothing will play with any sound while online (I tried youtube and several flash animatins, and nothing from any of them). The problem seems to be that my browsers aren't showing being registered by my sound card. If I open the sound mixer, any other program shows up when active, but neither browser does.

I'm running Win7 Pro with a AMD Phenom 2.3 Gig Quad Core Processor on an ASUS M3A78-EM motherboard with 4 Gigs of RAM. I'm running with all current updates installed and I've re-installed Flash, since a few forums I searched for similar problems suggested that as a possible solution, but no joy.
"If ignorance is bliss, then wipe the smile off my face."
Rage Against the Machine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:08 PM

WARNING!!! This suggestion involves editing of the registry. Improper editing of the registry can cause your computer to become unbootable. ALWAYS backup your registry before modifying the registry.

To backup your registry, create a System Restore point. Alternatively, you can use the free utility ERUNT to create backups of your registry: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

For more information about modifying the registry, see this Microsoft article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/256986

======================================================================================

Download no_sound_in_browsers.reg file to your desktop.
Double click on it, and allow registry merge.
Restart computer.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 ratdem

ratdem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:10 PM

Happily, no registry detangling was nedded....System Restore FTW! Apparently something got jiggered up since I was last on on Saturday afetrnoon. Did the restore, and everything seems to be sounding off just fine.
"If ignorance is bliss, then wipe the smile off my face."
Rage Against the Machine

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:11 PM

Good news :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users