Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp Jetdirect Ex Plus3 / Static Verus Dchp

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:42 AM

I have a small LAN at home, of 13 computers. I have a HP JetDirect EX Plus3 print server with three printers connected, Lexmark 4039, HP G85, Panisonic 2123. I have be running DHCP for several years and just switched to static. I turned DHCP off on my Linksys NR041 router and went static across the boards.
The problem is the print server appears only to work with DHCP. I never played with it because there was no need til now. I have been to the HP.com site but information is scares. So I am here (I guess I should have been all a long).

Question: Can I assign a static IP address on my LAN to this printer server? How do I assign this print server a static IP address on my LAN? Will this require running BootP to control the print server?

The reason for static IP is for maintiance. I use VNC to work on the other computers. It make it simple when the power go out and the router plays musical IP addresses. Thats the main reason.

Edited by acklan, 24 October 2005 - 11:43 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:36 PM

I think your making too much work for yourself. Why are you so uncomfortable with changing the printer itself to static. You should be able to telnet to it and change the entries there or use the jetadmin software to assign the ip address.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:01 PM

I believe that is what I want to do. I want the print server to have a static IP. I did not know about telnet. I can't use JetAdmin because it requires a minimun 2.4gig processor. At least that is what HP lists. The HP site mentioned using BootP to control the server. Each printer does not have it's own print server. The JetDirect EX plus3 is a 3 port server. It controls all three printers. I appear to know just enough to get me in trouble, but not enough to get myself out.
I am at work till 07:00 hours tuesday. When I get home I am going to try and narrow my DHCP range of IP address' to 1. This I think should force the router to assign the same IP address to the print server every time. At least till I can play with the telnet.
Thank you for all you help.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 12:25 PM

Thank you for your expert advice. The telnet worked great. I learned something about networking and worked out a problem. I hope my question ws not to vagi and ridiculous. Once I was able to get into the print server and disable DHCP it was fine. It's been since about '95 the last time I work in DOS to any great extent, but it can back enough to make the day.
Once again thank you.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 25 October 2005 - 12:38 PM

The best ways to learn this stuff is when you work it on your own , which you did. As for jetadmin not working on 2.4 ghz machines, may i say WTH?

I remember using that on old dos machines and all it is is a administrative console. No idea why it would have such high specs unless its typical tech companies trying to cover their bases when having to support it.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 12:55 PM

I was surprize myself. I DL it and installed but it keep locking my system. I remember years ago a similar program and like you said it just showed up as a command prompt.
Thanks again

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users