Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Routers and some general Networking Questions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 KIDRoach

KIDRoach

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:13 PM

I am thinking about setting up my dad's office computer so that it's more sophisticated. The current system involves usb drives and one computer attached to a printer. I would to set it up so that the system is easier/simpler to use, without the need of every employees having a flashdrive and holding on to them dearly. I'm not very familiar with setting up networks so I need help... :thumbsup:

Here is what I have:
1. One laser printer
2. 1 desktop machine, possibly buying another one in the near future
3. 3 to 4 laptops
4. A little D-link router for internet wireless access. (I'm not sure what model. It's been there for 3 to 4 years now... g-protocol connection)

I'm looking to do:
1. I would like to setup a network drive where any user connected to the network will be allowed access to the drive and will be allowed access to read/write on the hard drive. It doesn't matter if the hard drive is installed in the desktop or attached to the network's router.
2. I would like a shared access to a printer in the network, connected to either the desktop or the router/wireless router.

Other thoughts:
1. Yes, I tried the homegroup/workgroup option but I hated the eff'in thing... I can't even get my laptops to detect my desktop's homegroup. Decided to give up... Is there another way?
2. I was thinking of buying a router with a usb port attached to allow a hard drive to be shared but I'm not sure how this works cause I've never had a router like this. Also, prices to do this seems a little steep. The E3000 from Cisco is about 140 bucks right now... :flowers: If I decided to buy an NAS and a cheap router, it seems to be right about that range too... :trumpet:
3. I've heard that a usb port on the router is really slow usually?
3. I don't mind the desktop being used as a "server", as in, I don't mind my desktop running whenever the network is up. However, I would still like to use the desktop for work. Is that possible?
4. I don't mind tossing my old router and buying a new one, but I'm looking for the cheapest way to do what I'm looking to do. :D

Any good suggestion on how to network this?

Edited by KIDRoach, 26 July 2010 - 09:16 PM.

If Quizzes were Quizzicles, what are Tests ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:36 PM

Sounds like fun.

A word of advise, you can not achieve your goals if you quit on file and printer sharing with windows. Its what you want to achieve, trust me its easier said than done but you have to do it.

Anyways, thinking of a NAS that is connected to a router is good, but be sure to have redundancy in case bleep happens.

USB connections to routers are bad, and you are right on your decision.

All else is practically networking.

You might want to read on and check out practicallynetworked.com and some other basic print and file sharing 101 sites.

I doubt that Dlink will help you out with print and file sharing though.
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users