Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wont power up unless....

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 stickx911

stickx911

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:38 PM

I just recently bought a new tower and radiator to upgrade from some junk tower and a thermaltake radiator that came with a kit. just about everything else is the same, I just moved from one tower to the other. Now, when I went to power it up I got nothing. realizing I had added a few more fans because of the tower switch it was probably just a little too much for my 550w PSU. so I upgraded that to a silverstone 850w. Yay works!...but...

This is the weirdest symptom I've seen. once I shut it down, I have to unplug it for a few minutes and plug it back in for it to turn on. otherwise I get a flash of juice or nothing....?

is it a bad batch of the PSU?

It is near time to replace the hardware, but I was hoping to wait until fall.

tower I'm using:
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 Black 0.8 mm SECC, Plastic + Mesh ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

and the PSU
SILVERSTONE ST85F-P 850W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

here is my out of date hardware:
ASUS P5KPL-AM/PS LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80571E5200 (with a weak overclock to 3.0 never breaking 45c)
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ

the video card is even older, but I know that's not the problem.

also this is water cooled if that makes any difference on what I could have toasted or over stressed. It's a bigwater 735 kit with a video waterblock and a new 2x140mm radiator.

I'm leaning toward the psu because the time it needs to be unlpugged for more than just a few seconds which is enough the time for it to loose all the energy it accumulated.

and I'm leaning toward the MOBO because the PSU is brand new. and I could have fried something in the build??

I'm confused :thumbsup:

I am grateful for any tips/suggestions/ideas...anything. I'm at a loss as to what this is as it works, thanks for reading...it's just odd.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stickx911

stickx911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:26 PM

should I try and pickup another power supply?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users