Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beep with card, beep without.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ZlobIsFun

ZlobIsFun

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:50 PM

EDIT: Topic name was supposed to be: Can't boot with video card.

I always leave my computer on at night with a fan next to it to cool down my video card, usualy because it peaks at 60C, but it's threshold is 100C supposedly. (x1600 PCIe 512 MB pro ddr2)
No, I haven't over clocked it.
Yes, I've been able to play games before.
My power supply is 50W under the recommended 350.

When I woke up and came back, I had a black screen. I moved my mouse, restarted my monitor, and pressed random keys and even ctrl alt del on my keyboard. I pressed my power button once, nothing. I held the button for about 10-20 seconds before it eventually turned off.

I turned it back on and nothing, just a black screen. I reseated the video card and plugged it back in, I got beeps. I turned it off, unplugged the power cord and pressed the power button. Then I switched the VGA cord into my integrated video card. It told me to restart and switch it back to my actual video card. I restarted and plugged it in, I got beeps. I turned off the computer, took out my video card and used the integrated.
It fully booted. After 10 minutes I shut my computer down and tried my video card once again, nothing!

So basically it's not beeping anymore.

What's going on? Do I need a new power supply? Do I need a new video card? is there something I have to do in the bios? My video configuration is auto, so it automatically detects plugged in video cards.

The 3 and 4 lights pop up, then 2 and 4 stay idle the whole time when attempting to run with my video card. The cylinder is with 3 and 4 for two seconds, then 3 turns off and 2 stays on with 4, without the little cylinder.

EDIT: 7/27
Okay so I took off the heat sink and fan ( both together ), cleaned it and left my computer off for four hours. I put the card back in the PCIe slot and plugged the monitor into it. Started it up, it posted and I could hear the windows login sound.
But..
I didn't see anything. I shut it off and plugged the cable into the integrated slot, and it booted up to windows. I turned it off again and went to my bios, nothing is read in the PCIe slot even though the card is in there... The card's fan is working but, it's not being read. What does this mean?

//

It seems the green sticker with the s/n and p/n have faded. Does this mean anything? I'm pretty sure they faded a few days ago, but it's possible it recently happened. It's barely readable now, could the card have some how over heated after leaving it on for so long? Even though the computer goes into standby/ power save mode after 2 hours of inactivity?

I've never ever had the card go over 65C, even while gaming.

Edited by ZlobIsFun, 27 July 2010 - 04:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RexB

RexB

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:28 AM

Sounds like your card is kaput. Since you can see your Desktop with your on-board video, that's a sure sign that your PCI-e card is gone.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users