Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot open windows after typing in password

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 reconciler

reconciler

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

I'm sorry this is going to be very un-technical sounding....please bear with me. Basically, our Compaq laptop seemed to be working fine and then one morning, we could not get into Windows (Vista Home Premium). After typing in the password, the little circle would just spin and spin and windows would never pop up. I tried getting into safe mode, etc. which would sometimes be successful, but nothing has seemed to help. While in safe mode, I was able to access some Word documents. The results seem to be random, though, with what happens when we try to get into it at different times. Sometimes, the desktop will appear, but you cannot access any programs through the icons. Sometimes, the mouse works - sometimes it doesn't. Husband ran scan disk and defrag in safe mode the other day - no new results. We opened up the computer and used CleanSafe to clean out the fan area. Just now I turned it on to see what it would do and as it was booting up, it said it was checking the file system on drive C and then ran through three different tasks (CHKDSK). It restarted and I typed in the password and it actually opened the desktop this time. I tried to open internet explorer, and it began to open my homepage, but then froze (can't even hit CTL/ALT/DELETE).

So, I am at a loss. This all started about a month ago. Not sure if it could have taken a hit during a lightning storm while we were out of the house for a few hours (we get lots of thunderstorms this time of year).

I would be extremely grateful for any help or ideas. Thank you so much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fryed Bacon

Fryed Bacon

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:30 PM

You said you could get into Windows via Safe Mode? When you start up your laptop and hit F8 to bring up the Windows Boot Menu, scroll down to Safe Mode with System Restore. If it starts successfully, yay! Now wait a minute, and a System Restore window will open up. Now navigate to a point say a month ago, before all this happened. A word of caution: System Restore does not wipe out any files unless you installed any programs during this 1-month period. So, to say it bluntly, I hope you didn't install anything within the month that this went down. Now, wait for the Restore to, well, restore. After it's done, your computer will restart. Press F8 to get to the Windows boot menu, and choose Start Windows Normally. don't do last good configuration or anything like that, just start it normally. After it boots (if) and you enter your password, Windows should load like normal!! If you can, post back with results, whether they be Yay or Nay.

#3 reconciler

reconciler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:20 PM

Thanks for your reply, Fryed Bacon. I think I forgot to mention that I had tried a system restore already.....but I decided to try again after reading your post and choose an earlier date to see what would happen. This time, when the computer restarted, the password screen came up and after I typed in my password, there was that stinking circle spinning which led only to....a blue screen (no desktop). So, no luck.

Any other ideas? :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users