Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hosts: 255.255.255.255 broadvast host - why is this on system

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 laopa

laopa

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:12 PM

Hi,

Real newbie here so please excuse the dumb questions and comments.

I ran a HighJackThis scan this morning (first in a long time) and noticed these two listings. I do have a wireless card in my PC and I do have a wireless router but both are turned off and secured as far as I am aware. I also run HostMan Hosts files.

O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O1 - Hosts: 255.255.255.255 broadcasthost

No idea what they are and if I need to do anything. Your help would be appreciated.

Regards

laopa :thumbsup:

System: 2.85 Gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q9550, twin 500GB Raid Mirrored HDDs, 4GB RAM, External 1.5TB HDD, Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600) with HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GGC-H20L [CD-ROM drive] and NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT [Display adapter], LGE W2252 [Monitor] (23.0")

Security Software: Online Armor Firewall Premium Version 4.0.0.45, Avira GmbH - AntiVir Desktop Premium Version 10.0.0.603, Advanced SystemCare Pro 3.6.0 plus assorted proactive protectors i.e. Spybot Search & Destroy, Spyware Blaster, and passive scanners EmsiSoft Anti-Malware (disabled and used as passive scanner), SUPERAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes AntiMalware, HitMan Pro 3.5 etc. Also utilize Sandboxie and HostMan Host Files, with FanBoy URLFilter.ini for Opera Browser (10.6).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kazinsal

Kazinsal

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:27 PM

Hello,

::1 is an IPv6 address that routes back to your own computer. It's the IPv6 version of 127.0.0.1, aka localhost. 255.255.255.255 is different, but it works a similar way. It's a broadcast address that sends information to the zero network (0.0.0.0), which basically means "this network". Both are perfectly harmless.

Cheers,
--Troy

#3 laopa

laopa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:39 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the quick feedback. I feel I little safer and better now. Are these two listing related to the HostMan Host File setup and program?

Regards

laopa :thumbsup:

#4 Kazinsal

Kazinsal

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

Hi,

They're likely just installed by default by Windows (possibly an XP thing, as I don't have those in my Vista default hosts file). If not, they'd be the doing of HostMan. They're not dangerous entries, so they wouldn't be caused by an infection.

Hope this helps,
--Troy

#5 laopa

laopa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:44 PM

Hi,

Thanks.

OK then, I think?

Regards

laopa

#6 Kazinsal

Kazinsal

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:19 PM

Yep, should all be good. Nothing malicious by the looks of it.

Have a nice day!

--Troy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users