Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSI ms-7267 945gm3 board won't boot past usb test

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bfordz

bfordz

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:35 PM

As the bios is finding and testing the USB ports it locks up and won't boot. The only way around it is to reset the bios with the jumper, other wise it just locks up in the same place every time.
If I reset the bios then hit F1 for setup and set date, time, etc; F10 Saving settings it boots and then locks at the same place every time.
If I reset the bios and then hit F2 to continue anyways (bios warning date and time are off) it boots and runs with no USB or LAN/NIC.

I found that if I reset the bios, F1 to setup and leave the USB settings "off" everything is working fine. So I'm assuming my USB portion of my board has 'failed'.

Questions:
Does anyone know of a fix for this, is this a known issue with this msi board?

If there's no known fix and replacement is required; can someone suggest an equivalent board without spending much money; reusing as much as current pieces as possible.

P4 3.0ghz w/HT, 2 gigs pc-5300, WD 500g sata hdd, 1-pata cdrw, 1-sata dvd/dvdrw/cdr; ISO-400 psu (300w); Vista home premium 32

No gaming, just emailing and internet browsing.

Thanks,
bford

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:50 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Sounds to me like your CMOS battery on the motherboard has died.

This battery is there to keep the memory in the CMOS chip active and helps store the correct date and time as well as saving system settings.

I believe your battery needs replacing. These batteries can be found where ever watch batteries are sold.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 bfordz

bfordz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:22 AM

Yea, I forgot to mention I had already tried that, finally. But it didn't do much for the problem. It still locks up on the USB discovery portion of the boot process IF I leave the USB turned "on" in the BIOS. As long as I leave USB turned "off" the rest works fine and it boots (reboots) just fine, just no USB functionality.

I'm trying to assist a friend with his machine. He doesn't want to do an "add-in" card, besides he's got two front [3] (2 front usb ports, 1 media card reader that's usb) usb devices and while looking at 'internal' usb ports on add-in cards that was the least available option on add-in cards. I couldn't find add-in cards that had multiple internal usb ports.

He's thinking either complete computer or new mobo, I thought new mobo would be the cheapest route.

Brad

#4 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:30 PM

quick question...
~what is the type of your mainboard???
~do you have updating BIOS on that mainboard???

I cant find anything on MSI website that exactly same with you told earlier...
just found this type 945GM3-F
different type will have different fix...

Edited by abauw, 27 July 2010 - 02:35 PM.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#5 bfordz

bfordz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:09 PM

The system is by ZT Systems, they may have customized the board but it's made my MSI the numbers are what's on the board itself.
MSI has "Live Updates" for their boards, I ran it but it didn't come up with any new bios updates.

I tried to find bios updates through ZT Systems but didn't find anything for the bios just drivers.

Yes, the 945GM3-F was the closest I found also; I'm not sure if they're the same by ZT standards. I'm not sure what else I can Identify it by.

#6 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:12 PM

Please DO NOT RUN LIVE UPDATE anymore if you dont know how to use it and deal the problem after that...do not try updating BIOS if your sytem is at good shape....

please check your bios setting...
is there a menu called M FLASH...if yes please disabled it...
Check your BIOS for BIOS FLASH...DISABLE it...

after that please see if you still have that problem...

if yes...please read this...
http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=html&...ervice_identify
and see you mainboard..and tell your mainboard model on next reply...

Boot up your system & take a look at the top left screen during POST, you should see something like "A6380MS v1.7 122101" This means the board is MS-6380 with BIOS version 1.7
Hint : Many systems are clearing this message very fast, the bios version is then unreadable, you can either press "PAUSE" or disable the "Quick Boot" in the BIOS setup.
please tell what BIOS version you have...

honestly...
it will better if you go to MSI website and ask an online help...
http://support.msi.com/

if you have 945GM3-F mainboard...
there are update BIOS Version 5.6
with description : Open the item "Q_USB_LEGACY_ENABLE" for MSI internal test.
if you really have 945GM3-F mainboard you can ask MSI what is it...

I think you have failed updating BIOS and because of that you mainboard goes to recovery mode...

#7 bfordz

bfordz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:27 PM

First off; I did NOT run Live Update on a good working machine...BIOS was locking up at the USB discovery point before I started working on this issue. ps...I'm old school...If it's not broke, don't fix it. It was broke when I got it!

There is no menu called M FLASH
I did not find any BIOS FLASH either

"if yes...please read this...
http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=html&...ervice_identify
and see you mainboard..and tell your mainboard model on next reply..."

That's where I got the Identifying numbers: MS-7267 945GM3 that I have in my subject line!

BIOS version from bootup:
MSI 945GM3 A7267IZ1 V5.0B01 12/27/06

"I think you have failed updating BIOS and because of that you mainboard goes to recovery mode..."

The problem with the USB locking up at the boot sequence started on its own. I ran the "MSI Live Update" trying to see IF there was a BIOS update, to fix the usb problem, which there wasn't. All I got was Intel driver updates for the chipset; which controls the USB. After updating I realized that was for software not hardware(BIOS). SO, that did NOTHING for my problem.
I had the problem before the update and still have the problem after the update. Plus the Intel Chipset update was listed on the MS update website also.

I've been to the MSI website, they have a statement about being cautious about flashing your BIOS with one of there updates "if" you don't know if the manufacturer has modified the board to their specifications.
The Live Update gives a list of the available updates to pick from...it's not automatic. A BIOS update was not listed or available from the MSI website, so this BIOS was not updated or flashed causing the issue I have been working on.

I thought I might ask the question to see if "others" might have experienced this type of problem or "if" it's a known problem with this board or any boards for that matter. I've never had the USB ports give this type of problem. I've had usb ports die on me but not like this.

Any more suggestions?

#8 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:03 PM

sorry I miss that you mention ZT Systems (never heard before)...and because of that your mainboard not in MSI list...they do not custom it they just use order a type of mainboard from mainboard manufacture (in this case MSI) for they brand...like others OEM brand like HP, IBM, DELL, ACER, etc

please tell detail ZT Systems that you have...

I have go to ZT Systems website and begin to hate it...I really hate if I want to download something (driver) and need to register first...

do you use any usb device (keyboard, mouse, flashdrive) that attached on the computer when turn on...

Edited by abauw, 27 July 2010 - 11:14 PM.

#9 bfordz

bfordz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:26 AM

Currently there is NOTHING plugged into the usb ports (usb has been turned off in bios so that it will boot)
Had usb keyboard and mouse; (using ps2 kb and mouse for diagnosis), also had a usb hub (not sure why or what was plugged into the hub), also a usb printer. (this is not my machine...just trying to do the repairs for a fellow employee)

I'm wondering, could the usb hub have taken out the usb functionality on the mother board?

I sent an email to ZT Systems; their response...
Here at ZT Systems Technical Support we do not support or recommend BIOS updates. Updating the BIOS may cause configuration changes to other areas of your computer and cause another problem. The type of issue that you are describing is similar to hardware related problems regarding the USB ports on the motherboard.

The system is a ZT Systems Cisnet Pc

P4 3.0GHz; 2gig kingston Ram; WD 500g green hdd; 1-pata dvd/cdr; 1-stata dvdrw/cdrw
Front media card reader(usb), two front usb ports
Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit

Motherboard Specs

CPU

• Supports Socket 775 for Intel® Core 2 Duo, P4 5XX, 6XX, Pentium D 8XX, 9XX and Celeron D processors.
• Supports FSB 1066/800/533MHz.
• Supports EIST technology.
• Supports Intel® Hyper-Threading technology.
• Supports Intel® Dual Core Technology to 800MHz and up.

Chipset

• Intel® 945G Chipset
- Supports FSB 533/800/1066MHz.
- Integrated Intel® GMA 950 graphics core
- Supports dual channel, DDR2 400/533

• Intel® ICH7 Chipset
- Hi-Speed USB (USB2.0) controller, 480Mb/sec, up to 8 ports.
- 4 SATAII ports with transfer rate up to 3Gb/s.
- 1 channel Ultra ATA 100 bus master IDE controller.
- PCI Master v2.3, I/O APIC.
- ACPI 2.0 compliant.

Main Memory

• Supports two unbuffered DIMM of 1.8 Volt DDRII SDRAM
• Supports up to 2GB memory size.
• Supports dual channel DDRII memory architecture.
• Supports DDRII 400/533/667 memory interface.

Slots

• One PCI Express x 16 slot.
• Three 32-bit v2.3 master PCI bus slots. (support 3.3v/5v PCI bus interface)

On-Board IDE/SATA

• One Ultra DMA 66/100 IDE controllers integrated in ICH7
- Supports PIO, Bus Master operation modes.
- Can connect up to two Ultra ATA drives.

• SATAII controller integrated in ICH7
- Up to 300MB/sec transfer speed.
- Can connect up to four SATAII devices.

Audio

• High Definition link controller integrated in Intel® ICH7 chip.
• Audio codec Realtek® ALC883.
- Compliant with Azalia Rev 1.0 spec.

LAN

• Realtek® RTL8110SC / 8100C
- Supports 10 / 100 / 1000 Mb/s (1000Mb/s on 8100SC only).
- Compliane with PCI 2.2.
- Supports ACPI Power Management.

Internal I/O Connectors

- ATX 24-Pin power connector
- 4-pin ATX 12V power connector
- 1 x CPU / System / Power FAN connectors
- CD-in connector
- Serial port header (JCOM1)
- Front panel audio connector
- Front panel connector
- 2 x USB 2.0 connector support additional 4 ports
- 1 x Floppy disk drive connector
- 1 x S/SPDIF out connector
- 4 x Serial ATAII connectors
- 1 x ATA100 connector
- 1 x IrDA connector
- Chassis intrusion switch connector
- Clear CMOS jumper

Back Panel I/O Ports

- 1 x Parallel port
- 1 x Serial port (COM 1)
- 1 x VGA port
- 1 x PS/2 keyboard
- 1 x PS/2 mouse
- 1 x 6 in 1 audio jack
- 4 x USB 2.0 ports
- 1 x RJ45 LAN jack

BIOS

• The mainboard BIOS provides "Plug & Play" BIOS which detects the peripheral devices and
expansion cards of the board automatically.
• The mainboard provides a Desktop Management Interface(DMI) function which records your
mainboard specifications.

Dimension

• 24.5cm(L) x 22.5cm(W) Micro-ATX Form F

#10 bfordz

bfordz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:57 PM

If I have to replace this mobo; I've tried to find a replacement that will accept what he already has without spending much $$.
Here's what I'm looking at so far;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813157144

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128357

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813130231

Does anyone have an opinion on any one of them or a different one that would work better?

Current cpu = p4 3.0ghz 630 prescott
Kingston memory = kvr667d2/1gr x 2
need 2 usb headers (3 on front)
1 - sata hdd
1 - sata dvdrw
1 - pata dvd/cdrw
1 - iso psu 300w (m/n iso-400)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users