Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Keys Sometimes Stop Working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TheSmokingManX

TheSmokingManX

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:53 PM

I've got a strange issue I've been dealing with for many months now, but it's interfered with my work far too many times to not try dealing with now.

The keyboard on my desktop will be functioning just fine, and then randomly from time to time (sometimes not for weeks, other times it does it repeatedly in the same day) some keys will stop functioning. Other keys on the keyboard will type just fine, but some (just one, or sometimes several) won't respond. They occasionally come back after a few seconds only to stop again; other times they won't respond for much longer. It's not always the same keys and I've tried more than one keyboard in multiple USB ports.

I've run spyware and virus scans and found nothing. I've had some issues with USB ports in the past (where certain ports wouldn't work until after I restart the computer or after a long wait), which makes me wonder if it's something with the USB ports on my motherboard or a power supply issue, but that's pretty baseless and I have no idea how I'd even go about determining if that's the case.

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit, for what it's worth.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:39 PM

Okay now this is case Inspector Clouseau should deal with... :thumbsup:

So let me organize it a little:

1)Key boards randomly turn off in the same day or in week

2)You have tried different keyboards to no avail.

My Questions are:
Does it do it when you run certain programs?
Have you updated Windows 7?
Does your mouse or other devices stop working as well?
What are the Specs please? Manufacturer, Processor, Ram etc...

Some Solutions:
Instead of booting into normal mode boot into Safe-mode (With out Networking) try to see if the keyboard stops in Safe-mode>> This will tell us if its a program or more hard-ware related.

If you boot into normal mode and the keys stop working...Go to Run>Type:cmd>in the black box see if you can use the bad keys...
(if you cant type "cmd" go into all programs and look for it there)

Please answer my questions in order to understand and help you better thanks. :huh:

#3 TheSmokingManX

TheSmokingManX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:25 AM

Well, it's not that the keyboard turns off, it's just that certain keys (random keys, not always the same ones) will stop working while the rest of the keyboard continues to function properly. And yes, I've tried multiple keyboards.

To answer your questions -

-No, it doesn't appear to be any specific program that causes it. I've had it happen in more than one game, while typing in my browser, on AIM, and other programs.
-I have all the latest OS updates.
-My mouse continues to function (it's also USB). However, I have had the occasional issue where another USB device wouldn't work when plugged into a USB hub, almost as if each port on the hub was dying as I used it. This might be completely unrelated, but I figured I'd mention it.
-Specs:

Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
RAM - G.SKILL 2GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ
Mobo - EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
Video card- MSI NX8800GTS 512M OC GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
Sound card - Razer Barracuda AC-1

Any other specs you need?

As for your solutions, the problem is that this happens so sporadically that I have no way of telling if the keyboard is actually acting up. It sometimes fixes itself within a minute or even less (other times it takes much longer) so it's possible that by the time I get into CMD or safe mode, it'll already be fixed and being able to type in either of those situations won't tell me anything. I will give it a try nonetheless the next time it happens.

#4 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:41 PM

OMG :huh:

I am stumped on this one. I will l keep thinking about it and see if I can come up with a good :huh: for it.
In the mean time I will rule out that there is something wrong with the hardware that makes it "glitch" like that.
But it does not make a lot of sense. :thumbsup:

Can you tell me if its a laptop or desktop and the Brand and Model please...
Thank-you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users