Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Cuts Out During Thunderstorms

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 blueczar

blueczar

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:13 AM

Hi I was just wondering why my internet connection cuts out during thunderstorms.. I mean it makes sense sort of but other internet connections always work during storms ??

Today for instance at about 2-3pm the internet (broadband 1.5mb) cuts out for about half a minute, then goes back on for half a minute and keeps doing that - on/off.. the funny thing is I can predict when theres going to be a storm because it always starts cutting out a couple hours before one starts. It finally started working properly at 10pm tonight, although it still cuts out for short periods occasionally. This has happened quite a few times before. It only happens on days when there is heavy rain or storms. Is this normal???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:10 AM

No but expected. I have cable HSI. The squirls love to chew on the insulation on the coax. I just had COX stretch a new line in May. If you have VOIP it will also effect you telephone service.
I helpped a niehbor install DSL lite (256/128) and he had a similar problem. The lines were so old, corrosion got in the wire and slow his speed to less than 20kbs. BellSouth put in a new service box and I ran new Cat5 to his computer room and he is at top speed.
If you have your ISP come out make sure they are only testing the line and not working on it, if you don't have an "inside wire service agreement". It could be $80+. If it is inside wiring you should be able to do it your self. If it's the service box back to the pole it's there puppy.
Let us know how it turns out.

Edited by acklan, 24 October 2005 - 10:12 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 blueczar

blueczar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:09 PM

thanks for the reply, thats interesting when we upgraded from 256 to 1.5 there wasnt much difference.. and I suspect that it runs slower than it should, so maybe it is something like corrosion - not as bad as 20kbs though!. Well I'm trying to find who to call.. just rang the company I thought was in charge of the wire but they said to ring someone else. I'll post any further developments.

Edited by jgweed, 25 October 2005 - 01:06 AM.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:08 AM

thanks for the reply, thats interesting when we upgraded from 256 to 1.5 there wasnt much difference.. and I suspect that it runs slower than it should, so maybe it is something like corrosion - not as bad as 20kbs though!. Well I'm trying to find who to call.. just rang the company I thought was in charge of the wire but they said to ring someone else. I'll post any further developments.

You will need to call your telco. Good luck.

#5 blueczar

blueczar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2005 - 07:14 PM

this makes no sense to me, but the problem seems to also be caused by (or perhaps amplified) by when the Netgear ADSL Firewall router has been on for long periods. - When the problem started I had had it on all the time, but I have it on less often and it isnt as bad - Last night after it had been on all day there was a thunderstorm and the connection kept cutting out - but this morning (after the firewall router was switched off the whole night) its raining outside but the connection is fine. It seems that its the combination of rain + it overheating that makes it cut out, I dont have a clue why

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2005 - 09:24 PM

Check the ground wire for your service box.

#7 blueczar

blueczar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 12:44 AM

Check the ground wire for your service box.

um, what is a ground wire/service box?

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 01:34 AM

You should have a ground wire coming from your teleco service box going to a ground rod. Poor ground can result in interference and a degrade signal in the line.
Have you requested the teleco conducted a line test?

#9 blueczar

blueczar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 05:03 AM

You should have a ground wire coming from your teleco service box going to a ground rod. Poor ground can result in interference and a degrade signal in the line.
Have you requested the teleco conducted a line test?

No I havent yet, the problem comes and goes, hasnt done it for a while. I think we have an overhead wire though (theres a wire and just where it meets the house it has a small box with the teleco logo on it)

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:49 AM

Thats it. Squirrls love to chew on wire insulation. I have had to have my cable line replaced twice. He showed me where they chewed thru the outer jacket.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users