Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something is deleting forum cookies....??

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Spectacle

Spectacle

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:30 PM

Hi y'all,

Something unknown is deleting some but not all of my forum cookies on a regular basis. I had this problem when I was running Avira, changed to Avast! and the problem remains. I use Online Armor Pro also.

I'll log on here, allowing 1st Party cookie and 'Remember me', am recognized but next time I come back I have to log in again.

Unknown if related, but as I've posted before, something also messes with my system settings for text, changing specified font size in various programs.

Thanks!
2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:33 PM

Hi all,

Some further info: have since shut down & restarted 3 times, cookie for this website was still good!

Thinking it might be a glitch from commons tasks I performed, I also went to Tools & Options and 'Delete Temporary files', plus 'Delete all offline content': cookies still good. Then in Tools I did 'Clear History' of websites visited: cookie still good.

One other common problem that keeps showing up is that my Favorites files in IE will change positions. I rearrange list to suit my normal usage and come back some time later and find them arranged alphabetically. Happens often where I have sub-folders in Favorites, but not in main Favorites items without sub-folders.

I spend a lot of time on forums out of necessity so the thing with cookies being deleted is a very major issue for me. Thanks for any help!
2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:25 AM

FWIW: I believe that deleting all temp files...should result in having to login again. Seems that is what happens to me.

Louis

#4 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:33 PM

Thank you, Louis. However this is a new ocurrence 7-8 months. Prior to that I was also in the regular habit of deleting temps & history often and had no such events resulting from it. My computer is also set to delete temps on closing anyway, same as before, at least as far as I know.

I appreciate your advice but if you were on this end through the last couple of years you too would say, "Hey, what the heck is going on here???"

Suddenly Cookies are deleted, favorites re-arranged, displayed text size & fonts changing despite system settings, inability to reset fonts & text to desired, e-mail suddenly rearranged from most recent at bottom to most recent at top, a new type of display window in e-mail: something, I don't know what, is causing these changes at random.

The only major changes to computer during this time are two antivirus I have had installed, of Avira first and then Avast!, plus Online Armor firewall. The changes seem to occur relative to something updating automatically.

It's somewhat beyond irritating. Thanks though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users