Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't pull good IP address from router

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TJMax

TJMax

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:07 PM

Lately, both my laptop and my iPhone have been stuck on 169 IP addresses when trying to connect to my LAN wirelessly. Both devices connect just fine to other networks, remembering my parents' network four months after they last connected to it.

It gets worse, though: I just tried connecting the laptop to the router by ethernet, and I'm having the same problem. Connecting the modem directly to the laptop works fine: Good IP address, websites load. Strangely, the desktop I'm using now is also connected to the router by ethernet cable, and works fine.

The problem would appear to lie with the router, but my Google searches are turning up nothing useful. The router in question is a Linksys Wireless-B. Any particular settings I should be looking at?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:51 PM

Have you tried powercycling the router?

If that does not work. At the back of the router there is a reset button that should get router back functioning.

Btw what is the IP address that you are getting with the PC that you are on right now? It should be on the 192.168.1.1xx range.
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#3 TJMax

TJMax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:36 PM

Yep, definitely power cycled the router (occasionally it will throw a snit where I have to do it, so it's one of the first things I try if I suddenly lose connection). I can certainly hit the pen switch and restore the manufacturer's defaults, but want to save that for a last resort. I had to do that once, after I stupidly turned off the router's DHCP server and had no idea of how to restore it when I couldn't get in.

My desktop is pulling an IP address of 192.168.1.131 which, while a little high, is a perfectly normal 192 address for the router to assign. Plug the laptop in, and no dice: 169. Again, it works on other networks (both wireless, and by ethernet cable) just fine. Oh well, I may just have to take a screen shot of my port forwarding, and reset the router. I'm just hoping to find a less drastic solution...

Edited by TJMax, 26 July 2010 - 03:36 PM.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:02 PM

MAC address filtering??
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:38 PM

I doubt that your PC is the problem. It sounds to me like a DHCP problem with your router. Or perhaps it badly needs its firmware flashed or updated.

Edited by kennzsniper, 27 July 2010 - 02:41 PM.

2nd job was lappy tech

#6 TJMax

TJMax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:59 PM

I checked Mac address filtering, and I don't have anything set there.

I doubt that your PC is the problem. It sounds to me like a DHCP problem with your router.

My thoughts exactly.

Or perhaps it badly needs its firmware flashed or updated.

Ah, yes. I'll take a look at that...

#7 TJMax

TJMax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:05 PM

Upgraded the firmware, and... My iPhone just pulled a good IP address! W00t! Thankee.

#8 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:14 AM

Nice..

Edited by kennzsniper, 28 July 2010 - 11:16 AM.

2nd job was lappy tech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users