Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What did my kid do?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mrdave100

mrdave100

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:03 PM

When I boot up my computer it does not show the screen that says Windows XP loading. It doesn't show the screen where I'm given the option to go into the BIOS etc. It goes straight from black to the desktop. However, the desktop does not have a start button and there are few icons scattered around. Any thoughts as to how I can get the start button back, get to the BIOS, etc? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:35 PM

One thing you can try, a system restore to a time just before the issue began.

If you have the bottom toolbar on the screen:

Click an empty portion of the toolbar, choose Task Manager/Applications tab/New Task.

Type in rstrui, then OK.

When the restore folder opens, click the icon named rstrui

System restore will open, choose the first option, click Next.

Choose a restore point-click Next. Your computer will reboot. After you reboot, you will find out if the restore was successful.

edit to add: if it works, you may find out when you reboot and the process is normal.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 July 2010 - 12:39 PM.

#3 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:42 PM

Have you tried this? Task manager>applications>new task and type explorer.exe.

#4 mrdave100

mrdave100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:09 PM

How do I get to the task manager?

#5 Kazinsal

Kazinsal

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:46 PM

Hello,

Hit control+alt+delete to access the Task Manager, then do the steps to System Restore as Queen-Evie said. The "explorer.exe" solution is only a partial fix, as it'll need to be done every time the computer is started. I suggest doing what Evie said after starting the Task Manager.

Hope this helps,
--Troy

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:17 PM

If it does not show any BIOS related message, then the monitor may be taking long time in responding. Have you checked you monitor settings. Most modern monitor LCD screen have settings option buttons on front.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users