Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wiped hard drive and reinstalled OS now nothing...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vespa65

vespa65

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:50 AM

I wanted a new laptop but I can't afford one right now, so, I figured the next best thing to a new computer was to just wipe the hard drive clean and reload the software that came with it and bingo, just like it was fresh out of the box 4 years ago. Unfortunately, I'm not a computer expert and I must have missed an important step somewhere along the line. I have a 4-year old Dell laptop that was running really slow and was just loaded with too many programs, etc. And, I think it was infected with someone because Outlook kept crashing and loosing my data.

Here's what I did after I backed up my documents and pictures:

1. Downloaded Disk Kill, burned the CD and ran it (probably my first mistake) : )

2. Popped in my Reinstallation DVD with the OS on it that came with the computer. So far everything is running smoothly.
I had the desktop back everything fine and looking good except the display and fonts looked kinda off and blurry.

3. This is where I think I goofed. I popped in the "Drivers and Utilities" reinstallation DVD and loaded it to the same
partition of the disk where I had just installed the OS. Was I suppose to create a separate partition for the drivers?

Before I cleaned the HD, it looked like this:

(80h)
* DellUtility(1)
* Primary Unknown (2)
* Dell Restore (2)
* Unallocated

Now I just have a large "C" hard drive (100,000) with a small unallocated of about 14,000.
I seem to recall that there were 3 different partitions: Fat 16, Fat 32, and NTFS. Now I think I
only have NTFS.

What happens when I boot up the computer now is I see the blue Windows XP page and then instead
of going to my desktop like before, it goes to a black screen that says:

"PXE-E61 Media Test Failure"
"PXE- MOF Exiting Broadcom PXE Rom"

I've tried to reboot in SAFE MODE a few times by tapping the F8 key at start-up and even that doesn't work.

I sure hope someone can help me as I'm all out of ideas and don't know what I did wrong. And,
a computer shop in town will probably charge me what a new laptop would have cost. Yes, I probably bit
off more than I could chew but after reading posts about how easy it was to refresh your computer I figured
I could do it, mistake number 2...

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions as I'm not sure what to do now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:25 PM

System model?

Did you read your owner's manual...before embarking on your adventure?

Louis

#3 vespa65

vespa65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:57 PM

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1501

No, unfortunately the computer didn't come with a manual. I only
have a "user's guide" called the Dell Media Center. There was
probably a manual loaded somewhere on the computer.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,578 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:34 PM

Interesting Read

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...s.htm#wp1076789

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...e.htm#wp1064105

I guess that I have to ask...why do you have a Reinstallation DVD...if XP is the O/S?

The "PXE" message is normally associated with an attempt by the system to do a network boot, rather than boot from the hard drive (as a system normally would).

IME, this state may result when the CMOS battery needs to be replaced. For laptops, the CMOS battery may be referred to as the RTC (realj-time clock) battery.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 26 July 2010 - 02:34 PM.

#5 vespa65

vespa65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:52 PM

Hi Louis, thank you for responding on both occasions. Ok, I'm not good at stopping to read manuals or asking for directions.
I finally fixed the issue and I'm patting myself on the back now. : )
To resolve the error, I pressed F12 to get to the boot menu and realized I had to change the order of the boot priority. As soon as I did that
I was back in business. I've carefully written everything down in case I ever have to go through this long procedure again.
It also took forever to download dozens and dozens of Microsoft updates to get the computer current again.

The computer is running fast again and I have a clean slate minus dozens of junk programs. This is a great website by the way, which I have bookmarked for future refernce.

Have a great week!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,578 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:33 PM

Hmmm...I'd keep an eye on the boot order, etc. in the BIOS.

If things change again or the system clock/date start becoming incorreect...I would replace the CMOS battery.

Glad that you resolved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users