Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 farrell1024

farrell1024

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:31 AM

What do you do when you use system restore and when it's done it has gone back to old passwords and you can't get into your laptop because you don't know what they were?

Sorry, this is my first post and rereading this I think I need to be a little clearer on what I am asking....

I'm trying to find out if there is any way that I can get into my laptop without knowing the password and/or is there any point before the actual log in screen that I can undo the system restore?

I don't know too many specific details about the laptop other than it uses Windows Vista Home Premium.

Thanks for any info or help!

Edited by farrell1024, 26 July 2010 - 06:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:06 AM

Follow this link.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsvista...vistapwdisk.htm

all you need is another computer with vista, and a blank flash drive.

#3 farrell1024

farrell1024
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:11 AM

Thanks for the link! I have to go to work now but will look at it more closely when I get home. I have one question though... can the second computer have Windows 7?

#4 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:49 AM

I confess I've never used the password reset disk feature but I would suspect that it will only work for the computer is was created for. If not, someone could just create a password reset disk and go around resetting everyone else's password.

I found an article that supports my theory: Password reset disk. Here's the relevant excerpt: Using a USB drive with the password reset utility, can be run on all editions of Windows Vista. Once you have created the password reset disk, it can not be used to reset a password for another Computer (only the Computer where the utility was run against). Also, consider keeping the disk in a safe location, since anyone can use the disk to reset the password and gain access to your Computer.

Here's a link to some Password Recovery Tools that might help you.

Edited by strolln, 26 July 2010 - 08:01 AM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#5 yans0056

yans0056

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:13 AM

Check these out
http://www.windowsloginrecovery.com/windows-7-password-recovery.html
I have no experience with any of them so I cannot comment more about it. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users