Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adware Purityscan Removal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 parackattu

parackattu

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:07 AM

let me introduce me. my name is saju-a beginner in computer. my computer dell dimension 3000 with windows xp home edition. Got norton internetnet security 2005 enabled with anti virus and firewall enabled. while surfing the net abt 20 days back norton alarmed me to scan immdtly. After scanning the report came as follows: Name : Adware.PurityScan
Overall Risk impact(a) performance :- High (b)Privacy :- High © Removal :- (High) (d)Stealth :- High
The Security risks were not resolved
Affected areas :- C:\Documents and Settings\saju\local settings\Temp\pscanw.exe
Delete failed
Risk category : adware Virus definition version : 200510190009
Item type : File Target : N/A Suspicious action : N/A

I tried whole system scan with Norton several times but the result same as above.
Then I tried PC Tools : Spyware Doctor
As per their suggestion I tried : Immunize my computer with Onguard activated and restarted the computer in Safe Mode and run a Full scan. But nothing found... No suspicious malware or adware found was the result.
only Norton says that the above Adware Purityscan is present as a file mentioned above.

Even Microsoft antispyware also says nothing infected. Also i got lavasoft Adware downloaded recently, It also says nothing suspicious found in my computer.

No pop-up windows or Slowing down of computer. Nothing indifferent. Only problem i got now is this message from Norton that Adware.purityscan file is present and next;- I cannot uninstall some programms like lavasoft adware, DSA driving theory test software, yahoo messenger etc.etc. through Add/remove programme via Control panel.
please help to solve this problem. Is there anything to be afraid of.
please help me.
With best regards/saju

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:12 AM

Per Symantec: http://sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.purityscan.html
As this is written, an uninstall program is available on the PuritySCAN.com Web site. Go to http://www.purityscan.com/uninstall.html and follow the instructions. Symantec Security Response has not tested the PuritySCAN uninstaller. If you have any questions, contact PuritySCAN technical support.

More info on PurityScan here: http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/PurityScan.html

I would also recommend that you download and install CCleaner from here: http://www.ccleaner.com/
1. Run CCleaner using it's default setting's by clicking on "Run Cleaner".
2. A popup box will open advising the process will permanently delete files from your system.
3. Click "OK" and it will scan and clean your system.

or

Download and install Cleanup!: http://downloads.stevengould.org/cleanup/CleanUp40.exe
1. Double-click the file to install it.
2. Open CleanUp! and click on "Options" button
3. Drag the bar to "Standard CleanUp!"
4. If you uncheck "Delete Cookies" so you will not lose them, the bar will be moved to Custom Cleanup.
5. Click "OK".
6. Close any open browsers and run the program by clicking the "CleanUp!" button.
7. When finished, a box will pop up saying "CleanUp! is finished but it needs to logoff."
8. Click the "Yes" button when it asks you to log off.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 IsMe

IsMe

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 12:02 PM

Right there it tells you where the offending file is .... just delete everything in that Temp folder.

#4 parackattu

parackattu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 27 October 2005 - 06:50 AM

Right there it tells you where the offending file is .... just delete everything in that Temp folder.

Thank you Isme. i tried ur way. Start>search.exe found the file referred by searching hidden files with a Big P before that file name. then deleted it and removed it from recycle bin. now it is running ok. i tried two/three full scans with Norton and found ok. thanks very much everybody for your help..parackattu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users