Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm unable to copy large (4Gb+) mpeg files onto my 8Gb thumb drive.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Lee42

Lee42

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:26 AM

I have a tv tuner card in my eMachines T5048 and I record movies from cable tv onto my computer. I burn them to a dvd but I don't use this computer to burn them. If I did, it would tie up this system for over an hour each time & it can't be used when it's burning because it uses 95%+ of the cpu to do it. So I copy them to a 8Gb thumb drive to then copy onto a Dell to burn. But some of the mpeg's wont copy to the thumb.

For example, I tried to copy this one mpeg file that's 5.32Gb's big onto my thumb drive but kept getting the error saying disk is full (screenshot of that error: http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3360/diskisfullerror.jpg ) but I know for a fact that there's enough room to copy it. I went to My Computer and right-clicked the Properties of the thumb and it showed 6.37Gb's available. Here's a screenshot of the Properties of the thumb: http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/1156/8gbproperties.jpg

I suspect that because the thumb was formatted FAT32 that maybe files larger than 4Gb's can't be copied onto it. Is that true? Is it possible and/or a good idea to reformat this thumb to the NTFS format and then I'll be able to copy the larger than 4gb files onto it? Would doing that harm the thumb drive?

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:31 AM

cant you tell what flash drive that you use???
there is a cheater seller that sold an modified flash drive (changing the size from actual size)
maybe...just maybe you have that flash drive...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:35 AM

You are correct, a file larger than 4GB cannot exist on FAT32. You certainly can reformat the drive to NTFS, but it is not ideal for flash drives - the FAT32 replacement intended for flash drives is exFAT. If you have Windows Vista or later, you can choose exFAT when formatting, but Windows XP and earlier are not able to use exFAT by default. There is a driver available from Microsoft to add exFAT capability to XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=955704

Edit: spelling error

Edited by Platypus, 06 August 2010 - 05:58 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:08 PM

cant you tell what flash drive that you use???
there is a cheater seller that sold an modified flash drive (changing the size from actual size)
maybe...just maybe you have that flash drive...

It's a Dane-Elec 8Gb thumb. Here's a pic of the kind I have: http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/4227/daneelec8gb.jpg

I bought it at K-mart over a year ago and it's worked fine except when I try to copy bigger than 4Gb files onto it.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,194 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:56 PM

If a smaller capacity drive has been fraudulently labelled as a larger drive, the copy will fail once you try to fill the drive beyond its real capacity, even using smaller size files.

#6 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:00 PM

You are correct, a file larger than 4GB cannot exist on FAT32. You certainly can reformat the drive to NTFS, but it is not ideal for flash drives - the FAT32 replacement intended for flash drives is exFAT. If you have Windows Vista or later, you can choose exFAT when formatting, but Windows XP and earlier are not able to use exFAT by default. There is a driver available from Microsoft to add exFAT capablilty to XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=955704

I should have mentioned I'm using XP. :thumbsup: I had a feeling that was the case with the 4Gb limit...and I was worried about formatting this thumb to NTFS for fear it would damage it. I just d/l'd the exFAT from the link you provided and I'm getting ready to install that. But first I need to backup everything on the thumb drive, close up all my running programs, create a system restore point, install this thing & reboot...and then I can reformat the thumb. And of course afterwards, I'm gonna test it by trying to copy that 5.3Gb mpeg file onto it.

Thank you Platypus for telling me about exFAT. It looks like it's just the ticket for me to get this problem solved. :huh: I'll let ya know how it goes.

#7 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:04 PM

If a smaller capacity drive has been fraudulently labelled as a larger drive, the copy will fail once you try to fill the drive beyond its real capacity, even using smaller size files.

And if it was mislabeled, like showing it was an 8Gb on the case but was really a 4Gb, it would have become evident as to it's true size when I clicked on the Properties of the drive.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,194 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:38 PM

If it was a simple mis-labelling scam. The drives can also be modified to falsely report their size. In that case, if the drive actually only had say 4GB of flash RAM, it would show as 8GB, but the copy would fail if you tried to put something like two 2.5 GB files on it. Presumably you can fill yours up to 8G (less overhead) with files smaller than 4G?

Edited by Platypus, 26 July 2010 - 10:40 PM.

#9 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:35 AM

I got great news Platypus! I formatted my 8Gb thumb drive to the new exFAT and was then able to copy a 5.3Gb mpeg over to it! So I believe my "copying issue" has been resolved thanks to your brilliant guidance!

Thank you so much! :thumbsup:

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,194 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:38 AM

Excellent!

#11 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:56 AM

Ok, I have an important update to add here. It's been a week since I added the exFAT to my system so I could format my 8Gb thumb drive to it and copy larger than 4Gb files onto it...which btw worked just fine.

But the problem is that when I go insert this 8Gb thumb drive into any other computer, I kept being told the drive isn't formatted and was asking me if I wanted to format it. I said No of course and exited out of it.

I now have to literally install this exFAT onto every single computer (reboot required after installation) that I want to insert my 8Gb thumb drive into. It came as a surprise the first time but I quickly realized the OS didn't recognize the new format and I better "update" them with the new exFAT....which did the trick but it's just a little tedious and time consuming each time I gotta do it.

Anyhoo, I just thought I'd throw this out there in case anybody else had the same problem as me, and found the solution with the exFAT but came across the same problem....welp, the only solution is to put exFAT on every system you're gonna put your "converted to exFAT" thumb drive into.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,194 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:02 AM

Yes indeed, I was careful to point out in my first post that XP could not read exFAT unless the driver is installed. :thumbsup:

#13 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:57 PM

I got great news Platypus! I formatted my 8Gb thumb drive to the new exFAT and was then able to copy a 5.3Gb mpeg over to it! So I believe my "copying issue" has been resolved thanks to your brilliant guidance!

Thank you so much! :thumbsup:

You can easily format it to NTFS though. Follow these instructions do do that: http://www.thinktechno.com/2008/04/22/how-...fs-file-system/

NTFS offers the ability to encrypt and compress data on the drive. exFAT does not.

#14 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:32 PM

^ I agree. You don't want to be wasting time installing exFAT onto every PC.

Another advantage of NTFS over FAT32, is that it handles capacities over 8GB with ease.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#15 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:38 PM

Yes indeed, I was careful to point out in my first post that XP could not read exFAT unless the driver is installed. :thumbsup:

Of course it all makes sense to me now but back then I just thought that if I could get a "bigger than 4Gb" mpeg onto the 8Gb thumb, then when I copied it over to the Dell (so I could burn the movie), it would've let me copy it over because NTFS (like the hard drive is formatted) lets you move 4Gb+ files around with ease. But I was wrong and I learned from experience. I posted that to let others know just in case they were unaware like I was and to save them some time and trouble. :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users