Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anybody have trouble connecting 2wire gateway to Acer Easystore?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gink0106

gink0106

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:41 PM

Hello

I am unsure if this is a network issue, a software issue, or a hardware issue.
I recently purchased a refurbished Acer Easystore H340 and planned on using it for backup and streaming on my network.
I boots and my 2wire 2701hg-b shows it connected on the network.
The H340 blinks and the network indicator on the back shows a network connection made.
When I try to use the installation disk it starts its setup and makes connection with the H340, but the software will not transfer. I just get a message saying "The operation cannot be completed at this time"
I know a connection is made because when the H340 is not powered up it says that it is unable to find my server.
I read that my router/modem does not support UPnP and that may be my problem.
I contacted Acer support and was told to use http://aspirehome/upnp/welcome.aspx?
I was told that this would let me access the installation software pre-installed on the server, but I could not make a connection.
Hope somebody can help.

Gink

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:00 PM

Ok. I am not sure what is going on. Your statements does not give me a picture of what is going on.

Please specify the following information

Internet Service Provider
Connection between your computer and the 2wire 2701hg-b.
How many computers do you have in the network?
Operation system of the Acer Laptop.

If wireless 2wire has a unique WEP key embedded on the sticker at the bottom of the modem. Its often WEP 64 Bit and you should see 10 character WEP keys at the bottom. Perhaps you have not provided the WEP key.
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#3 gink0106

gink0106
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:49 AM

I apologize for the confusion. My question was poorly written.
I am trying to install WHS on an Acer Easystore H340 I purchased.
My 2wire 2702HG-B appears to be connected. My isp is AT&T DSL.
All network connections are hard wired ethernet connections (CAT5E to Gigabit Switch) The Switch is connected to the 2702HG-B.
The Acer Easystore H340 is a UPnP device.
The Acer Easystore's operating system is WHS.
Since the Easystore does not have a keyboard, mouse, monitor, or floppy drive it needs to be configured from a connected host.
I configured my host to see UPnP devices over the network. I can see my Acer under network connections and it shows that it is connected and working fine.
I read a microsoft article concerning configuring upnp devices on local networks and learned that windows firewall sometimes gets confused and blocks UPnP devices.
I manually enabled the Windows Firewall exception for the UPnP framework for both UDP port 1900 and TCP port 2869 per the article.
I still have no access to to the H340.
I e-mailed 2wire to ask them if the 2702HG-B supports UPnP devices and was given this reply:
Unfortunately AT&T 's revision of the 2wire gateway does not support UPnP.
UPnP is not supported on the HomePortal for security reasons. UPnP allows software on local computers to open ports in the firewall with out user input. If the software opening the ports is a virus this is a bad thing that can allow unauthorized persons to gain access to your home network. If unauthorized persons are able to access your home network, not only do they have access to the information stored any computer on your home network, they also have to ability to install software that can be used to spy on you and your computer usage habits and online browsing habits. With this software intruders would be able to capture your credit card, banking, email, and private network account information; this would also allow the intruder to use your computers to perform illegal activities, such as spamming, identity theft, and accessing illegal content.

My question is twofold:
1. Is there anything I havn't done that I can do to gain access to my "new" server?
2. If not, what are your recommendations.

Thanks
Gink

#4 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:29 PM

Thank you.

hmmm.

Since your 2wire gateway does not support upnp perhaps you can try a work around.
I am not familiar with you Acer WHS setup but, I can tell that the 2wire has a webUI and perhaps you can get the IP address of the Acer Easystore H340 off the DHCP client list of said Soho device.

Upon obtaining the the IP address you can just map the device on the network granted that its already setup properly.
One question though? How are you supposed to change the settings on the Acer NAS?

I doubt that the only way to access it is via any installed software. Its a NAS it should have a terminal service up or perhaps a Web UI that you can access by keying in the IP address of the NAS via a browser.

You might wanna poke into the manual of the said device.
2nd job was lappy tech

#5 gink0106

gink0106
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:12 PM

Hmm...

OK.

I think the reason why I cannot connect to the H340 is because the are not in the Microsoft Windows Network.
My computers are all recycled from work.
Each of them belonged to different networks.
Control panel->Network & Internet Connections ->My network places -> View work group computers -> (other places) Microsoft Windows Network
I see four work groups with each work group connected to a different computer.
I believe that I need to get the Acer and the other computers in the same work group.
Do you believe that this would resolve my issue?
What is the easiest way to consolidate and delete the other work groups?
Hope I am on the right track.

Gink

#6 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:08 AM

putting them in 1 workgroup would make it easier for you to manage them and file share.
2nd job was lappy tech

#7 gink0106

gink0106
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:10 PM

kennzsniper

Thank you for your help and patience.
I stumbled upon a thread concerning resetting the server and diagnosed that my server was not resetting properly.
This led me to discover that I had a hardware issue.
I called tech support and they verified that it was in fact a hardware issue and are going to be sending me a new machine.

Gink

#8 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:20 AM

Good thing that the manufacturer has made this issue known to the public.
2nd job was lappy tech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users