Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Code 80072EFE. Will Not Connect for Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bhavikpatel219

bhavikpatel219

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:05 PM

My antivirus software (avast 5) detected a virus on my laptop. I proceeded to clear it. A couple days later I noticed google would redirect me to other websites, and on the second attempt it would not connect to the website. Also I could not connect to certain websites like avast.com or microsoft.com. I scanned my laptop again but nothing was detected. I decided to restore my laptop back to before when I got the virus. It seemed to fix the problem with redirecting and loading avast.com and microsoft.com. I then attempted to use Windows Update to update my laptop but it will not connect and gives the following error message:

Code 80072EFE Windows Update encountered an unknown error.

I think ran Microsoft Fix it 50202 both in Default and Aggressive modes and still gives the same error code. The redirecting issue has also reoccurred on some links.

I have a Compaq Presario C700 running Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2, 32 bit Operating System, Intel Pentium Dual CPU 1.73 GHz, 2.00 GB RAM

Anyone know how to fix this?

If more info is required I will gladly provide it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bhavikpatel219

bhavikpatel219
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:46 PM

Hey, just incase anyone else is having the same problem, TDSSKiller seems to have fixed the problem!
You can get it from the following link:

http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.zip

Also go to C:Windows>System32 and delete Catroot2 folder. If there are more Catroot2, for example Catroot2(862) then delete them too. When your computer restarts a new Catroot2 folder will be created, this is normal.

Save it to the desktop, extract it there then run the scan. Takes like 2 mins then will reboot the computer and Windows Update should work. It also has fixed the redirecting problem.

Running malwarebytes afterwards or before is also a good idea.

Edited by bhavikpatel219, 26 July 2010 - 12:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users