Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LC 575 Blank Bomb and lockup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hotter Than July

Hotter Than July

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:36 PM

I have a LC 575 running Mac OS 7.5.1. I installed School House Rock, America Rock on it. The first time I ran it, it locked up upon showing the second company name, the second time I ran it, it worked for a little while and displayed and error saying something like:
"Error

Problem opening pandor.lx

-36"

Then it locked up. Next Startup, I didn't even run it, I went straight to the harddisk. It displayed a blank bomb message like this:
Posted Image
and locked up, no sad mac. I told my older sister, she came in and started it up, went to the harddisk and (no bomb) it locked up. Do you guys have any clue what went wrong?

Edited by Hotter Than July, 26 July 2010 - 08:24 AM.

"Snake, you have to use the control panel."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 davidanders

davidanders

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:13 PM

If you have a boot CD for the Mac, boot from that and see if you can view the misbehaving hard drive.
If you get the same or similar error, shutdown, disconnet the HD and boot from CD, if everything is normal, it is likely the hard drive is failing.

You can download 7.5 versions from Apple here
http://www.google.com/search?q=os+7.5+apple.com

Edited by davidanders, 29 July 2010 - 06:18 PM.

David Anders
The Computer Guy, Seattle
My Allexperts Stats

#3 Hotter Than July

Hotter Than July
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:54 PM

I don't have a boot disk, but we've been trying to reinstall the OS and my sister already had a sneaky suspicion that the hard drives were failing. These computers haven't been used in years, I wouldn't be surprised. Apparently they've given my grandma a sad mac before, since she already knew about the bomb message and the sad mac.

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:41 PM

This may or may not help you.
http://web.whittier.edu/comp/macguide/flowchart.cfm

#5 Hotter Than July

Hotter Than July
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:27 PM

It didn't help but I'm holding onto it anyway. Is there any way I could write a boot disk for it, and if I can, does it have to be written with a mac? (And would it be a floppy disk? I love floppy disks... :blink: )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users