Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accoona Why?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Photo Murray

Photo Murray

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:53 AM

when I'm in google doing a surf or on a webstie and changing pages this Accoona jumps in when I'm in the middle of what ever I'm doing. I hate it. what is it? how would I have got it? does it annoy everyone or just me? and the big one how do I get rid of it? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 04:32 AM

Never heard of it, but when I do a search its supposed to be the latest and greatest search engine to rival Google. Hmmm.....

Either you've unknowingly installed some kind of Accoona "helper" - in which case see 'Add/Remove Programs' and uninstall it, OR you are suffering a really bad case of pop-ups, OR you have some spyware in your system.

You may be able to block the pop-ups by doing this:
Access your pop-up blocking settings through Start>Control Panel>Internet Options
Click on the Privacy tab.
At the bottom of the window is Pop-up Blocker with a tick box to block all pop-ups.
To add a site where pop-ups are allowed click the Settings button.
Type in the web address of the site that you want to permit pop-ups for and click Add.
Ok out of Internet Properties.

To scan for spyware do this:
Update your Anti-virus software online.
Do you have any anti-spyware installed? If not download and update all of the following:Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus scan and anti-spyware scans there.
If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode

See if that helps then come back to us with some info about your system and what you're running. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:00 AM

Don't forget Ewido Security Suite - 14 day trial and AVG Free Edition Antivirus(I personally use) in case you don't have a current anti-virus.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Photo Murray

Photo Murray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:21 AM

thanks for your help to start with.
I have looked in the ADD/REMOVE programs before I posted and there is nothing there, also I have block ups stopped already so thats 2 out of the way, now the last one I will get started on now.

I have AVG for some time now and like it, (thanks acklan)

A-squared I have finished my 30 day trail and at this moment can't afford to buy the full version (hopefully that will change soon).

spybot I have and it didn't find anything.

So that only leaves ad-ware SE and spywareBlaster and Ewidosecurity suite, though I don't know what Ewidosecurity suite is.

The only thing I can find on my pc that shows it is in my comp is if I go to program files I found "accoona folder" inside there is"ASearchAssist.dll" and "tbquiesce.exe" which I don't remember exe a file that I don't know what it is unless it was attached to another program that I did know and exe it and got both.

Thanks Rimmer and acklan I will do that now and get back to you.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:44 AM

You must have 'A-squared personal', 'A-squared free' never expires.
Ewido is an anti-malware package - removed some stuff the others couldn't touch when I had a problem.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:45 AM

Try SyGate Personal Edition. It is a firewall program that blocks incoming and out going communication. It takes a couple of days to dial it in. It block everything. But once you give premission it wont ask again. MS's firewall only blocks incoming. That is no good if a virus is trying to phone home.
This won't cure the problem but maybe it will stop it from exporting whatever it gleans.

Edited by acklan, 24 October 2005 - 06:46 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 Photo Murray

Photo Murray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 07:32 AM

O.k l have down loaded all of that, you are right I did download A-squared personal by mistake before.
Is there any special or perfered order to run these programs, whilest in safe mode.
thanks again

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:02 PM

No particular order, they are all independent programs - let one do its thing before moving on to the next.
Note Ewido pops up pretty scary warnings when it finds a site cookie - tell it to delete and skip the backup; and to do the same for all the others it finds otherwise you'll be there all day. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 24 October 2005 - 08:03 PM.

#9 Photo Murray

Photo Murray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:55 PM

O.K. done thanks for all that it looked like it was pretty messy in there, alot found.

anti virus: 0
ad-aware: 84
spybot: 0
spyware blaster: found in the tools where Accoona was so changed it to google, couldn't delete it.there was 3 of them.
ewido: 49
a-squared: didn't count but alot

It took all night but well worth it if I never see that Accoona again. If there ment to be the next best thing to rival google there going about it all wrong. I would never use a company that attacks my comp, thats like a anti-virus company saying we have just infected you buy our product. I hope a message gets around quick to make people aware of this. I did a search here for Accoona and found it in the hjt forum alot.
Well again thanks Rimmer and acklan my comp is running abit faster while on the internet, which is always nice. :thumbsup:

#10 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 12:40 AM

Your right, Accoona does show up in the stuff to be removed in the HJT forums. If you want to be certain your system is clean you can post an HJT log:
Please read the pinned posts 'How to use this Forum' and 'How to post a HiJack This log' at the top of the forum:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Hij...alysis-f22.html

#11 Photo Murray

Photo Murray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 03:05 AM

thanks again Rimmer just posted a HJT log I wait and see. :thumbsup:

#12 Photo Murray

Photo Murray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 12:30 AM

After all that Accoona is still there. arrrh I really hate them, you do a search on google, go to open the site you have found, but it doesn't open, what opens is Accoona. You go back try and open it again, but no Accoona is the only thing that will open. you can never see what you were seaching for. They are a real pain in the *** . :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users