Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two OS on seperate HD's update/boot?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stinkfist

stinkfist

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:16 PM

I got a 64gb SSD drive a few days ago. WOW it made a huge difference. I left me W7 home premium on my original SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive. Every once in awhile I need to go over to that hard drive to test something. Is there a easier way to get over there beside having to hit F2 and change to ASHI and then hit F10 to reboot to Samsung? Also does the SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive with W7 home premium update through the Internet(Windows update, Kaspersky update) when I am not using it? Or do I have to be on that hard drive for it to update through the Internet? Is it best just to wipe the hard drive clean and use it for storage only? I have W7 Ultimate on my SSD drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ectech1

ectech1

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:38 PM

I'd pick up a barebone kit for cheap from newegg. Then just remote into the machine using your win7 box.

Program's won't update unless they're connected to the internet.

#3 stinkfist

stinkfist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:30 PM

I'd pick up a barebone kit for cheap from newegg. Then just remote into the machine using your win7 box.

Program's won't update unless they're connected to the internet.

Thanks for th idea. The problem with that is I store alot of HD movies & pictures on my 1tb hard drive. So I need it for storage. It also works great because it is sata works very fast for file transfer compared to my external usb 3.0 hard drives. But is it worth it to keep the W7 on?

#4 ectech1

ectech1

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:46 PM

Backup drives are always useful for tinkering, that said i'd keep the win7 home premium on that drive.

Another idea, you could get an enclosure to connect to the router directly.

Or even better, just buy a small media server to host the content on the network.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users