Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Get SP 3 to install

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:42 PM

I have a home built desktop computer that has Windows XP Home istalled. It has SP2 on it and has run fine for several years. It does not have the resources to run Vista or Windows 7 but wanted to maintain the updates from Microsoft. Now that M$ is not supporting SP2 I thought I would install SP3. I downloaded the most current version, ran the installation program in Safe Mode as an Administrator, and before starting cleared out my temp files, history, etc. Being in Safe Mode there was no problem with my Virus Program (AVG) running.

The program will run so far and then stop. It gives the message. "Could not backup registry key HKLM\Software\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall\KB011280 to File C:\Windows\$NT ServicePackUninstall$\reg 02371. 5 Access is denied".

I've googled all kinds of suggestions but haven't had any luck.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to get this program on the computer. A technician at Staples tried to tell me it was failing because it didn't have a gig of RAM. I can't believe that. I've seen Win XP run service pack three with 256 K. My computer has 512 K.

Any suggestions would sure be appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:46 PM

Correction on registry key. It should have read "HKLM\Software\Microsoft|Windows\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB911280 to File C:\Windows\$NT ServicePack Uninstall$\reg 02371. 5 Access is Denied."

I put in Software Twice at the beginning of the key description.

#3 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:25 PM

Download and run a program called CCLEANER. It clears out invalid Registry entries. And try installing through normal boot. You didn't make it clear if you did try in your post, so please do that.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:55 PM

Please...do not run any registry cleaner.

Are you installing from your desktop...or are you trying to use Windows Update?

IMO, the easiest way to install it would be to slipstream it into your XP CD...and then do a repair install of XP.

Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users