Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OS Will not boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 watsonsword

watsonsword

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:11 PM

I have an HP Pavilion Slimline s5213w that will not boot Windows 7 x64. I am trying to restore the factory image from the partition hard drive, but the option seems unavailable (I have all my essential files either on disk or online).

Turning the computer on automatically takes it to the Windows Error Recovery screen after the blue options screen.

Windows Boot Manager Shows:

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

Though I doubt that's helpful.

Starting windows normally results in a diagnostic blue screen stating "A problem has been detected an windows has shut down to prevent damage to your compuer." It flashes too fast to record any other information. The PC then restarts automatically

<f9=diagnostics> reports nothing wrong with the hardware.

This computer has a strange way of getting to advanced boot options. You have to go though <f11=System Recovery> which prompts me to use windows installation discs--which I don't have--.
Enter=Continue takes me toWindows Boot Manager which then gives the option of f8 boot options.

All that's shown is:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
Enable low Resolution Video (640x480)
Last Known Good Configuration (advanced) it acts the same as booting Windows normally
Directory Services Restore Mode also acts the same booting Windows normally
Debugging Mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure
Disable Driver Sigature Enforcement once again...

Start Windows Normally

None of this is useful if Windows won't boot at all. Though I could swear I remember being able to restore factory image from there, that option doesn't seem to be there anymore.

The BIOS screen doesn't seem to have that option either. But I distinctly remember restoring the factory image from the partition hard drive! I've either forgotten how to do that, or the option seems to have strangely become unavailable.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:18 PM

(I have all my essential files either on disk or online).

which prompts me to use windows installation discs--which I don't have--.

So... you have all your "essential" files on disk, but not your Win7 install disk or a Recovery disk?

#3 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:23 PM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=4006351

Try this link to see if you can get a copy of your recovery disk.

#4 Dwarf

Dwarf

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:53 AM

Follow the instructions here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=4006351

You will need the sub-section Starting a recovery from the startup logo screen (during system boot)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users