Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

kernel stack_inpage error

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:08 PM

Sony VAIO GXR600 win2k sp4; 256 RAM

I was running windows malicious software tool and left the room to do other stuff. When I came back I had a blue screen w/ "_kernel stack_inpage error". Later I booted into windows and just left it running. When I looked up I had a blue screen again. What is an inpage error?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:17 PM

Download BlueScreenView (in Zip file)
No installation required.
Unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:27 PM

Here is a decent article

http://www.instant-registry-fixes.org/fix-...k_inpage_error/
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 440 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:18 PM

Thanks Broni,
I can't boot into normal or safe mode, so I can only run things from a bootable disk. I have the reatogo cd, so I may be able to run the exe that way, but if it's supposed to gather info while the problem windows 2k is running that won't work.

Thanks Baltboy,
My stop 0x00000077 had these numbers
0xC000000E, 0xC00000E [may have been six 0's instead of 5] and 0x200B0000]
Per the linked article the 0xC000000E would be a STATUS_NO_SUCH_DEVICE - bad hdd or disk controller. I ran hd tune on the hdd not too long ago and it was ok so I guess the disk controller is the best bet if the error code is correctly IDing the problem.
Didn't see anything for 0x200B0000 in the article. Googling there was one msdn link for LUA Secondary Return Codes [LUA_IMMEDIATE_REQUEST_MODE_ERROR] - LUA being a programming language. Don't know if that is relevant.

I tried booting w\ my ext hdd attached since I think it was attached when I was running the malicious tool and the blue screen occurred. This time I got Stop C000021a w/ the blue screen. No other numbers - just that message about "if this is the first time this happened..." Per KB156669 this stop code means either Winlogon.exe or Csrss.exe failed. Troubleshooting it requires running a debugger, which is beyond my capabilities. I guess C000021a could result from a bad disk controller.

How likely is it these error codes are correctly IDing the problem?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:55 PM

Even though you ran hd tune somewhat recently that does not guarante that the drive is good. Best bet is to download the drive diagnostic from your drive manufacturer and test the drive. If all of the tests pass then we can eliminate the drive as the culprit.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:58 PM

Since your issue happened during malware cleaning, I'll ask malware people to look at this topic.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 440 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:28 PM

I got a different error message and set of stop error numbers when safe mode blue screened
Stop 0x0000007B
(0x82004970, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000]
Inaccessible_Boot_Device

I have wondered from time to time if I had some weird rootkit on my mini LAN of 3 [desktop, laptop, thinkpad]. I had some extra administrator SIDS I couldn't explain and some other things I've forgotten. My desktop blue screened when I ran an antiviral scan from a bootable cd - but that was a missing hal error message and maybe some bad memory/mobo problems. Anyway, the desktop is still dead.

I did a lot of reading on rootkits and came to the conclusion there is no way for a non-expert to check for rootkits that don't have known signatures and will be recognized by avast, avg, etc. I couldn't find any articles that addressed how common the unknown signature rootkits are on personal computers.

This is an old laptop, so it could be the hdd or whatever hardware problem could cause these error messages. I have a 2nd hdd I can exchange and see if the system boots and runs win2k OK. That should rule out memory/processor/whatever. It should also be free of a possible MBR virus or rootkit.
Can MBR viruses get passed from one computer in a LAN to another? Can rootkits? The win2k on this hdd won't have been updated since 2006 or 2007.

I am researching laptops to replace my dekstop and old laptop, but I'd like to know if I have a MBR virus or a rootkit or some other type malware on the laptop and possibly on my thinkpad.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:10 PM

I notified malware people, so, please be patient.

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users