Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Uninstalling Aegis Client

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hadleyburg

hadleyburg

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 23 October 2005 - 11:10 PM

Hi, I hope this is the right forum. If not, I apologize.

Basically I'm having trouble uninstalling AEGIS. I'm having trouble installing it, too. Actually, right now it seems to be in this weird half-installed state. Whenever I click on it, the installshield wizard pops up, but no matter what I select: repair, modify, or uninstall, it always stops about 3/4s of the way through, citing error 1721 and claiming that a file is missing. Meanwhile, the software is essentially not there and I can't find it on my hard drive or anywhere else to open it.

The history is that I didn't get any software with the wireless adapter I ordered off e-bay, so I stupidly began downloading what I figured were the necessary drivers and so forth, including AEGIS client. They ended up to be incomplete- the hardware never really worked. I finally realized I could just download the driver and utility from the manufacturer's website (Motorola), but I forgot to uninstall everything before installing this shiny new package, and now everything is messed up. The hardware works fine, I can pick up and register any signal I want to loud and clear, but AEGIS is MIA and I cannot connect to the internet.

Any advice here would be helpful. Is there something I'm missing to get the InstallShield Wizard to re-install AEGIS properly, or is there some way I can hunt every last file down myself? Is there some trick I can use to simply convince my computer that it's uninstalled so I can use my new driver software to install it properly? Would messing around with the registry help at all? I'm really stuck here.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hadleyburg

hadleyburg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:48 PM

Well, I ended up solving my own problem. I'll post a response here as a reference for anyone else who has similar problems.

The first thing I did was show all the hidden files on my computer. (I have Windows 98SE, by the way.)

I discovered c:\windows\install and found a folder containing a group of files relevant to AEGIS. Its name was a weird string of letters and numbers. I deleted this folder. Then I opened regedit and removed any trace of AEGIS from the add/remove files list.

When I next tried to open the install software, a new box came up, asking me where to find the install software. It was requesting a particular folder in the it was c:\windows\temp directory. I opened that directory and did not find the folder. I swear I had never even heard of this directory so I couldn't have deleted this folder on my own. I searched around, though, and found the file the install software was looking for. It was in an entirely different folder (with a slightly similar name, I'll admit). I directed the installshield wizard to this file, and the program works just fine now.

I still can't get on the internet, though. I've got an "excellent" signal from my router, I've got AEGIS client running now, but no internet connection. I guess I ought to post in another forum, but if anyone could direct me to relevant information, it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 02:21 PM

That is great. Yes please POST in the network forum and we will get right to that. Thank you for POSTing your fix. It very well may help someone. Good job.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users