Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need help installing java on ubuntu 10.04

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 zsazso

zsazso

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:30 PM

I've tried all the help I can find. No dice. downloaded the file, followed the instructions, kept getting an error message that says "can't access the file. does not exist". Been trying for two hours. Any and all help greatly appreciated. Thanks
I've got the icedtea plugin, but java applets never fully load. They come up with no messages about installing java, though.

Edited by zsazso, 25 July 2010 - 12:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:41 AM

See if you have the following: java-common - Base of all Java packages by doing an sudo apt-get java-common

#3 zsazso

zsazso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:08 AM

terminal shows E:Invalid operation java-common

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:16 AM

sudo apt-get install java-common my fingers cant keep up with my mouth lol.

#5 zsazso

zsazso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:21 AM

now says java-common is already the newest version.
java-common set to manually installed.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:24 AM

What sites are you trying to go too? I have Ubuntu here, and would like to see if those sites work for me.

#7 zsazso

zsazso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:25 AM

pogo.com

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:00 AM

I just tried Pogo on my ubuntu machine and it failed to load the applets as well.

So I am assuming the site is not Unix Friendly.

#9 zsazso

zsazso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:08 AM

Thank you so much. Glad to find it wasn't something I did (or didn't do).

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:16 PM

I don't recall exactly what I did to install Java but Ubuntu makes it simple.

click on applications, Ubuntu Software Center
Type Ubuntu Restricted Extras-----Allow Install

After installing Ubuntu Restricted Extras and whatever other steps I did, I now have the list of programs installed which can
be viewed by entering Java in the search of Ubuntu Software Center. Installed programs will have a green check mark.
Type Java in search---Allow install of Open JDK java 6 Runtime, Open Java 6 Web Start, Icedtea Java Plugin, Sun Java 6.0 Plugin
if green check mark is not there.

You may need to uninstall / remove the Java files that you have downloaded before doing the above. Depends on whether they were
actually installed or not.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 zsazso

zsazso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:45 PM

Thanks a lot. I see all but 1 of the above. The only one missing is Sun java 6.0 plugin. I don't see it as an option in the software center. Everything seems to work fine now, except for Pogo.com. I don't know if the java plugin would work better than the icedtea plugin or not, but I don't know how to get it anyways. Thanks again.
Oops. spoke too soon. I found the java 6.0 plugin, still no dice on pogo, though.

Edited by zsazso, 26 July 2010 - 12:54 PM.

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,508 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:35 PM

I went to the Pogo site but I did not sign up. Seems you can't play the games there until you do.
If you have addons in Firefox such as NoScript or AdBlock Plus, you should check to see if they are
blocking a script and sometimes if you don't allow ads these type of sites won't allow you to use all their features.

Maybe someone who is a member there and uses a Linux distro will respond.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,508 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:40 PM

Another thought----While I was at Pogo's site I did see animated features that were using flash.
Do you have flash installed? If not use the Ubuntu Software Center to install.

EDIT: what I show when searching for flash in the Software Center is one item installed on my computer.
Adobe Flash Plugin (installer for the adobe flash plugin for mozilla)

Edited by buddy215, 26 July 2010 - 01:49 PM.

#14 zsazso

zsazso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:54 PM

Yes, I have flash plugin. also use adblock plus, but disable it for pogo. the site will work with it on, though. haven't gotten around to NoScript yet, but I know it doesn't affect pogo w/firefox and windows 7. Not sure about NoScript w/firefox and ubuntu.

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:08 PM

Yes, I have flash plugin. also use adblock plus, but disable it for pogo. the site will work with it on, though. haven't gotten around to NoScript yet, but I know it doesn't affect pogo w/firefox and windows 7. Not sure about NoScript w/firefox and ubuntu.

I don't have noscript on my firefox on Ubuntu so its not that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users