Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WindowsUpdate blocked after removing Defense Centre

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Steve29

Steve29

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:44 AM

I am trying to help someone who ended up with Defense Centre on their Windows XP SP3 Laptop. After using MAlwarebytes, Trend HouseCall and ESET computer seems to be working fine! BUT.....

Windows Update site is blocked and seemingly also Mcafee for updating the installed scanner.

The owner had already tried to do a system restore and that fails but I'm not sure if that is connected.

I have created a additional Profile with Admin rights and that can connect to Windows Update but no joy with MCAfee.

It seems as though the users original profile is blocked in some way which is presumably liked to the original infection.

Can anyone please give any advice

Mamy Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:23 PM

Please download HostsXpert 4.3
  • Extract (unzip) HostsXpert.zip to a permanent folder on your hard drive such as C:\HostsXpert
  • Double-click HostsXpert.exe to run the program.
  • Click "Restore MS Hosts File".
  • Click OK at the confirmation box.
  • Click "Make ReadOnly?".
  • Click the X to exit the program.
-- Note: If you were using a custom Hosts file you will need to replace any of those entries yourself.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users