Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

powerline adaptor?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 myosin

myosin

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:41 AM

I have my cable modem and wireless router downstairs in the office. Upstairs the signal is week. I also am going to start watching unlimited netflix on my my Wii.

However, the wireless signal is weak up stairs.

These were the top rated powerline adapters on newegg.

NETGEAR XAVB101-100NAS Up to 200Mbps Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter Kit

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833122233

That will get the netflix going. But I also want to boost my wireless signal upstairs.

What do I need a repeater? Wireless AP / Bridges?

So from the powerline adapter, I can use a cat5 cable to connect to this

D-Link DAP-1522 Xtreme N Duo Wireless Bridge/Access Point
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833127256

This will transmit a wireless signal and I can plug the Wii into this.

Worried that I will already have a wireless router, then throw this into the mix that I will not be able to configure it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:24 PM

What router do you have now?

How big is your house?

Where in the house is the equipment?

What you're talking about will work but if you don't have one of the new MacDaddy routers, why not just replace the router you have now with a new one rather than buy 2 pieces of equipment.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:06 PM

I would not go for powerline adapters. Specially if your house is divided with a couple of circuit breakers.

Powerline works only if electrical outlet that you are connecting bothways are in 1 circuit ( Which I highly would doubt specially with the electrical wiring nowadays ).

It would be safer to bridge two access points. However that would depend on the distance between the two points.
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#4 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:01 PM

I use Powerline at home as well as with some of my clients. It does go through circuit breakers, but it is noticeably better if both outlets are on the same Phase (houses have two phases wired, with half of the circuits wired to each). It does not go through the outdoor transformer. Note that if multiple houses share a transformer the signal will go between houses as well, which can make for some surprises when you plug in if your neighbor also uses Powerline. Some folks, D-Link for one, have a "wireless extender" that is a Powerline adapter paired with a Access Point. I've never used that type, so can't say about their effectiveness. In general you will want an access point upstairs. Use the same SSID, encryption, and passphrase but a different channel. Stick to channels 1, 6, and 11 (in the USA), and do a site survey (most AP's and routers can do this) to see what channels are least used (or use NetStumbler).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users