Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This is ticking me off......

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 coldplate

coldplate

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:40 AM

Alright everyone. Hi. I got a new laptop 5 days ago, it is the Samsung R480 Model. It has pretty good specs

Yesterday I've installed two mmorpgs (dekaron and lineage 2, if you want to know). I'm running on windows 7 64 bit and for some reason when I run it, it works fine for a nice five seconds then my laptop just shuts down and goes black. It goes dead just like that. I''ve tried everything and looked at everything possible.

I did ram checks and there is nothing wrong with my ram (4gb DDR3). Everything is new and fresh to go and I just can't seem to figure out what is wrong with my laptop.

I've changed the program compatibilities and everything and it still is not working fine. I've ran things in administrator mode and as far as I know I've really tried everything and it is really ticking me off.

I know that many will recommend me to restore to factory position but I'm wondering if there is another solution. Since its not only happening to one game, it must be some configuration problem or something. Let me know what I can do and show you in order for you to have a more clear grasp of the issue I'm struggling with.

With regards,

Coldplate

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:35 PM

You say you've tried everything. Have you run any antivirus/antispyware programs to see if the game was infected?

You should post at this forum

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

where the excellent Bleeping staff and members can help you check out this possibility.
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:23 AM

I'm no laptop genius, but it sounds like it's overheating. Does it shut down only playing those games? Is there enough room for air flow around and under the laptop? :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 coldplate

coldplate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:08 AM

yes i believe so. i doubt its overheating because today i carried laptop from my room to outside the living room. I did a complete system restore today. im hoping if there's ANY way to fix this.

when i run games, it shuts down.

#5 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:11 AM

I'd suspect overheating as well but a laptop that's only 5 days old shouldn't be overheating. Is the laptop sitting on a hard surface with unrestricted airflow underneath it or could it be sitting on a blanket or pillow or other soft surface that restricts bottom airflow?
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#6 coldplate

coldplate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:21 AM

it's on a wood desk. and when i moved out to the living room it's on a marble table. the battery output charger is hot, but I doubt it. as you said, a computer 5 days old wouldn't be over-heating. The worst case is i have to bring it to samsung and let the technical team inspect it but i don't want to depart with my lovely computer for 1 week +....

and every other function works fine, besides game applications. It seems to me that when i open an application that requires a lot of memory or color or graphic it crashes (games, in this case).

It just shuts down..happened many times now.I believe its a problem with compatibility but i've done everything this forum has told me to.

#7 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:24 AM

I can certainly understand not wanting to be without your computer for a week or so... But it sounds like maybe your graphics card is not being cooled enough. Is the fan for the card running, can you hear it? Does it get louder when you run graphics intensive programs, like games?

You may have to take it in, maybe you can exchange it so you won't be without one.. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#8 coldplate

coldplate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:30 AM

well i brought it to the technical team and they returned to me within a day. They told me after doing tests, there is no problem with the hardware at all, and that there is no sign of overheating. The only issue is that I lack a firewall (now installed, avg 9.0) and that my bluetooth system is invalid (now fixed). But it still does not solve my problem for games.

bummer.

#9 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:47 PM

I have a few questions.

1. Have you checked to make sure the games are compatible with windows 7 and or 64-bit systems.
2. Which version of Windows 7 do you have.
3. If you have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, have you tried using Windows XP Compatibility Mode.
4. Have you been to the Device Manager and checked that everything was fine.
5. Have you tried to Duplicate the problem using something else besides gaming.
6. What did the Technical Team tell you as what could possibly be cause your symptoms.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#10 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:57 PM

I doubt its an overheating problem. Its often a compatibility problem.

As far as I know, Dekaron works with Windows 7 as well as Lineage.

I doubt that its a problem with you graphics since Dekaron does not really eat that much compared to highly graphic intensive games like Crysis et al.

Since most of these games are full compatible with Windows XP SP2, I would suggest that you change the compatibility to that and disable Aero and see what happens. I would also suggest that you run the applications as Admin.

I used to have a problem when playing RF Online that when I do something outside of RF or if I alt tab the problem hits critical errors. I found that solution to that was installing Windows 2005 C++ Compatibility pack as well as installing DirectX 9.

Just my 2 cents. Cheers.
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users