Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help about a COMPAQ Laptop ....?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tia08

tia08

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:49 AM

I had it since last year around november time.
Anyways, I would like to know how to take care of it so it won't crash or even you know overheat or break.

I've had a 2nd hand desktop that lasted 2 straight years without crashing or even breaking.
BUT this is a laptop and I don't want it to break anytime soon.
I mean it's okay if it breaks because it's still under warranty but I have important files on this.
So if you could let me know. Please & Thank You.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:27 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

You have requested advice on how to keep your computer running flawlessly with out any future problems popping up.

That is the wish of every computer owner out there. :thumbsup:

Although we do not have control over everything that can go wrong, we do have control over what we do.

Make sure you conduct regular system maintenance such as de-fragging your hard drive at least once a week, or include than automatic de-frag in the task manager.

Use safe surfing procedures when visiting web sites or accessing the Internet. (Its a dangerous world out there!!!!)

Keep a good anti-virus and anti-malware scanning program ACTIVE and UPDATED at all times to protect against any possible computer infections.

Keep a regular annul computer cleaning schedule, no matter how hard you try, dust will build up inside any computer system!

You should inspect cooling fans for proper operation, check heat sinks designed to remove damaging heat from devices that produce heat, such as North Bridge chips, CPUs, Video cards and power supplies for dust build up. This includes both desktop computers and laptops, neither one is less immune to dust then the other.

Use Windows version of disk cleanup, you won't be sorry you did.

DO NOT use registry cleaning programs of any type!!!!! No matter how desperate you get, do not use programs that alter, change or delete anything from the Windows registry!!!

DO NOT use programs that clean files or programs from your computer!!!! All programs come with their own un-install feature, it in MOST cases knows what files IT created in the install process and it knows what files to remove safely when the program is properly removed from your computer. Using any other program may remove files that are Shared files, some .dll files are used by several programs, the removal of this file, can make another program that also uses this same .dll to stop working properly or not function at all.

If you need further assistance please post back.

Hope this information has been helpful for you.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users