Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freewebs Website Hosting....

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Lily Livered

Lily Livered

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 23 October 2005 - 08:32 PM

Okay, don't laugh at me for only knowing html and not some of the other languages yet.

I made a family history website (all in html) a little over a year ago and chose Freewebs when I went looking for a way to put it on the 'net.

I've wondered ever since if there is anything I should be concerned about with using Freewebs because I don't find it being used by others. I haven't had any problems so far...at least not that I'm aware of anyway.

I just now did a Search here at BC to see if I could find anything about Freewebs and found that someone said:

Two words, Freewebs Sucks

Freewebs is known to be dead slow when loading pics and stuff, and also I heard it can send out spyware.
Find another web host thats more decent.

Post #3 at this link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...726&hl=freewebs.

Does anyone know if this a real concern or just one person's opinion?? Mainly the spyware part, as I don't have any problems with pics loading slowly.

Thank you in advance for any replies.
Dell Inspiron 6000--Mobile Intel Pentium M 730J/1.60GHz--512MB--60 or 80GB HD, can't remember for sure--wireless--XP Home SP2
AVG--ZoneAlarm--Ad-Aware SE--Spybot S&D--SpywareBlaster--SpywareGuard--Ewido--a-squared--CCleaner--HJT--IE and Firefox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:15 AM

Are you on dialup or broadband? If you have Cable or DSL why don't you host it from your computer?

Try looking at No-IP.com

They have a free service, and one you can select your own domain for about $40/yr. Just host it on you computer or buy a cheap second computer throw '98 and use the personal web server to host it.

Just a thought

Edited by acklan, 24 October 2005 - 08:18 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Lily Livered

Lily Livered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:37 PM

Hi there acklan!

I have DSL, and wouldn't know the first thing about hosting it from my own computer. But I WILL read the link you provided and see what else I can find to learn about hosting from one's own computer. I actually do have an old computer with Windows 98... which is just sitting over in the corner collecting dust. Sounds like you've given me a use for it. Now just to figure this out.....

Thanks!! Off to research this option........

Any other opinions or knowledge on FREEWEBS---just in case? (BTW, I use an inexpensive paid version of Freewebs, and pay for the extra space I needed.)

:thumbsup: <--that'd be me!

Edited by Lily Livered, 24 October 2005 - 08:37 PM.

Dell Inspiron 6000--Mobile Intel Pentium M 730J/1.60GHz--512MB--60 or 80GB HD, can't remember for sure--wireless--XP Home SP2
AVG--ZoneAlarm--Ad-Aware SE--Spybot S&D--SpywareBlaster--SpywareGuard--Ewido--a-squared--CCleaner--HJT--IE and Firefox

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:30 PM

Freewebs I dont think puts out spyware because I did use it at one time and never found any.

I found a better host and there is no page limits and it has way more space and features all free.

http://www.100webspace.com

Hope this helps

#5 Lily Livered

Lily Livered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:12 PM

It's good to hear from an experienced user of Freewebs that it doesn't put out spyware.

And your recommendation is definitely worth checking into...thank you CMG3!! Sounds really cool!

Edited by Lily Livered, 24 October 2005 - 10:15 PM.

#6 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:23 PM

My guess is the bad guys use freewebs to host and spread spyware,
but has nothing to do with freewebs itself.
I have used freeservers.com, but they have become over run with ads.
And stay well away from expage.com they are very insecure and
you may end up with this for a web page.

http://www.expage.com/cmkicks

:thumbsup: disclaimer: i do not condone defacing web pages and i wont go into any detail
about how or why this was done. :flowers:

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#7 Lily Livered

Lily Livered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:34 PM

My guess is the bad guys use freewebs to host and spread spyware,
but has nothing to do with freewebs itself.
I have used freeservers.com, but they have become over run with ads.
And stay well away from expage.com they are very insecure and
you may end up with this for a web page.

http://www.expage.com/cmkicks

:thumbsup: disclaimer: i do not condone defacing web pages and i wont go into any detail
about how or why this was done. :flowers:

:trumpet: Okay! Thanks, raw.....adding to my list now....

#8 Lily Livered

Lily Livered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:03 PM

Another question...

Are they able to get into my computer in any way because of the way that my site files are uploaded to their site?

Gosh, this isn't coming out very well; and I keep changing my wording but still it doesn't sound right.

Hmmm......

Okay, when I upload a file to be added to my site, it's done by clicking on a button labeled "Browse" which opens a window where you can choose the file from your computer....the same way Image Shack works.

Does that give them---or other applications/whatever which use that method---a sneaky way into my computer??

Is this understandable at all?

#9 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 04:53 PM

No, its just a simple web script that copies whatever you are uploading to their servers.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#10 Lily Livered

Lily Livered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 05:50 PM

Ah good. Thanks, raw!

#11 jbravo

jbravo

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:33 AM

btw, u can try zeeblo free hosting at www.zeeblo.com. They are one of the finest freehosting providers and absolutely no ads on your pages. (no security threat too.)

jbravo

#12 Lily Livered

Lily Livered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 10:40 AM

Thanks, jbravo; I'll check it out!

#13 Ultima

Ultima

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2005 - 04:51 PM

Well Freewebs does have viruses
i went down my m8's site he did i virus test
and it came up as a virus
websedit
:thumbsup: very strange

#14 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 04:48 PM

I've used freewebs from time to time. I must say, it never impressed me one bit.

#15 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2006 - 06:25 PM

Freewebs is horrible, in my opinion. I used it for a time, but I now use Geocities. Which reminds me, I need to update my own website. But back to the topic, Freewebs does not install spyware or viruses. At least not that I know of.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users