Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iexplore.exe wont stop popping up

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 F1FanNYC

F1FanNYC

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:34 AM

I am at a loss at how to get rid of this thing. I've read several forum postings that described similar issues to what I am facing and tried getting rid of the bug, but no luck.

2 days ago I got what appeared to be a pop up from the Windows Firewall popup. I was concentrating on something else so just when I clicked OK, I cringed. ran Malwarebytes, Spybot and GMER right after it happend and the PC came back clean. However, I was getting annoying IE pop-ups after the next reboot. I am a firefox user so I did not have IE running when the pop-ups came out of no where.

At any rate, spybot still does not detect any issues, Malwarebytes said it removed 1 infected entry but ONLY after running rkill and then a running malwarebytes in safemode:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\control panel\HomePage (Hijack.HomePageControl) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

That was yesterday morning but the problem still persists and none of the tools that I have on my PC would pick anything up (Macafee, Prevx, Spybot, GMER, Malwarebytes, Threatfire). I then turned the sensitivity up on Threatfire and now it pops up every 45 seconds asking me to allow or kill iexlpore. So even though malwarebytes and all of the other tools say nothing is wrong, I know something is wrong.

Any assistance to help me figure out what the PC has and how to get rid of it would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 C-zom

C-zom

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:23 AM

You can try running malwarebytes in safe mode. From my personal experience with Spybot it is not very helpful and that real time protecting/shell program can actually "imbed" malware and spyware if it has more control than you think over your computer. It's like system restoring with a rootkit, in essence. Regardless you can still kill it but its difficult.

Also you should trace it .Is it coming from system32 or program files? It's a virus if its the former, innocent--but annoying--if its the latter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users