Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Viewsonic VA1912wb monitor screen blank!!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 G-Force

G-Force

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:45 AM

Hey guys!! I own a Viewsonic VA1912wb. It worked fine until yesterday when all of a sudden it stopped working.
Here are the details::

The monitor screen just won't show anything. My computer is working fine because I can hear the Windows boot up sound and everything. The LED on the monitor is working fine too. It is orange when the computer is switched off and turns green when it is on. I've tried using both the cables (VGA and the other one) but with no luck. Also the OSD is not showing up, which has to lead to the conclusion that the problem is definitely with the monitor. Anyway, if you guys could provide any help i would really appreciate it!!

Cheers!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:37 AM

I'd expect it probably has had a backlight failure - either the inverter, or less likely one of the CCFL lamps. I haven't worked on Viewsonics to know if there's a common cause for that model. But generally frequent causes for inverter failure are bad electrolytic capacitors and fractured solder joints. Professional repair for a 19" unit may not be justified on cost, is it the sort of thing you would look at trying to do for yourself?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 G-Force

G-Force
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:12 AM

Thank you Platypus for your reply.
Actually I am not familiar with the technical terms which you've used in your post. So are you trying to say that this is a problem which I cannot solve on my own? I am ready to spend a few bucks on it. But before that, is there anything I can do to try and solve it on my own?
You know just to be sure.

Thanks again!!

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,471 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:44 AM

If you don't feel you have the technical expertise to open up the monitor, then there's nothing further you could try except get it checked out by a repairer. As you've observed, the absence of the OSD indicates that the fault is in the monitor itself, rather than a strange video card fault sending a black image to the monitor. You can confirm further by removing the signal input from the monitor, and ensuring that you don't see whatever "no signal" display the monitor normally shows before going into standby. Another trick: if you hold a torchlight gently against the front of the screen when the computer is on and the room dim, you will usually be able to faintly see some of the expected desktop display lit up by the light spill coming back from inside the display.

If you can find a repairer who will offer a no-cost or low-cost quote, that offers a low-risk approach. But a no-cost quote might be iffy, because a business still has to make money somehow, so a no-cost quoter might have a higher overall cost on their repairs, to make up for the no-cost quotes they do but don't get the jobs...

Another possible approach is if you have a technically minded friend or relative, or if you know of a local electronics hobbyist or ham radio enthusiast, they might be able to check it out for you.

#5 G-Force

G-Force
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:05 AM

Thanks again Platypus. BTW I've confirmed that the problem is with the monitor, since my other monitor seems to work just fine with the same CPU. Also I tried all the tests that you've mentioned and they all point to the same conclusion. I definitely do not have the necessary technical knowledge to repair the monitor on my own so that is out of the question. That leaves me with only two options then either get the monitor repaired or buy a new one. If the problem is minor and and doesn't cost me a lot of money I might go with the repair option.

Anyway, like I've already mentioned I really appreciate you helping me out.
Cheers!!

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,471 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:44 PM

Glad to assist!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users