Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Redirecting to unwanted websites. And continuous problems with rootkits and viruses!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dakinedive

dakinedive

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:03 AM

Can Someone please help me?!?! I have had a lot of problems with Viruses and it seems that once I get one out then something else starts up.

I run Norton anti virus and Malwarebytes. Both come up clean, and yet everytime I get onto bing, yahoo, google or any search engine it will redirect me to a different website than the one I selected.

Needless to say I am about to Throw this stupid thing out the window. Can someone please, please, please help me?!?!?!

My computer is a Toshiba Satellite and it is an older model but cant afford to upgrade!

Toshiba Satellite Intel® Celeron®
Microsoft Windows XP- Home Edition
Version 2002- Service Pack 3.

I have tried about everything I can think of. I selected to show all hidden folders to try and find hidden viruses. It seems to that my system runs very slow and my processes are really high. I am open for anything you can throw at me. thanks and I hope this helps!

Edited by hamluis, 25 July 2010 - 08:17 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected forum ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aunggu2002

aunggu2002

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:22 AM

Hey,

if you're running all the scans and nothing is coming up, maybe there's no active infections, but there could still be left-over after effects.

Try going into your browser setting into 'proxy settings' area. Make sure nothing is there. If there's anything there, then that's the reason why your browser is being rerouted to specific sites.

#3 dakinedive

dakinedive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:07 PM

Okay I tried that, there is nothing under proxy settings. I am still having the problems... Even if the scans are coming up clean why would I still have problems with this?

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:07 PM

Hello,it is quite likely to have infected your router...
Change your DNS Servers:
  • Go to Posted Image > Run... and in the open box, type: cmd
  • Press OK or Hit Enter.
  • At the command prompt, type or copy/paste: ipconfig /flushdns
  • Hit Enter.
  • You will get a confirmation that the flush was successful.
  • Close the command box.
If the above commands did not resolve the problem, the next thing to try is to reset your network settings and Configure TCP/IP to use DNS.
  • Go to Posted Image > Control Panel, and choose Network Connections.
  • Right-click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and and choose Properties.
  • Double-click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) or highlight it and select Properties.
  • Under the General tab, write down any settings in case you should need to change them back.
  • Select the button that says "Obtain an IP address automatically" or make sure the DNS server IP address is the same as provided by your ISP.
  • Select the button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically".
  • If unknown Preferred or Alternate DNS servers are listed, uncheck the box that says "Use the following DNS server address".
  • Click OK twice to get out of the properties screen and restart your computer. If not prompted to reboot go ahead and reboot manually.
-- Vista users can refer to How to Change TCP/IP settings

CAUTION: It's possible that your ISP (Internet Service Provider) requires specific DNS settings here. Make sure you know if you need these settings or not BEFORE you make any changes or you may lose your Internet connection. If you're sure you do not need a specific DNS address,
then you may proceed.

Run TFC by OT
Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link
Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users