Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 samtraff

samtraff

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:34 PM

Hello, I'm a first time building and have run into a few problems along the way but i've finally got my rig working, however the computer can't find my hard drive. I have it powered up correctly and have the SATA connected properly at both ends, but still my computer doesn't seem to know it's there. I had a previous problem which was I sparked (overloaded it with too much power, power into a grounded port) my motherboard resulting in it being fried could this have broken my hard drive too? It gets warm while I have my computer running so surely its getting power? Any help will be greatly appreciated as I can't install my OS until I can select a drive.

P.S The hard drive didn't come with any disks or even a manual

My system specs:
CPU
AMD Athlon II X3 440 3.0GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket

Motherboard
Asus M4A785TD-V EVO 785G

Memory
Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz

Graphics Card
Sapphire HD 5550 1GB DDR3 VGA DVI HDMI

Hard Drive
Western Digital WD10EALS 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 720

Power Supply
Corsair 550W VX Series PSU - 120mm Fan

Edited by samtraff, 24 July 2010 - 08:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:10 PM

Have you formatted the drive? Will this be the drive Windows is to be install on? If it is going to be your C:, there should be an option on the Windows disc for you to format it.

3939.png

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:28 PM

download the WD diagnostic tool. It should run without an OS via a bootable floppy or CD. If the drive passes all of the tests it is okay and then the problem would be settings in the BIOS.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 samtraff

samtraff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:48 AM

I'm uploading the OS on to this system for the first time and it just gives me the option of installation of Windows 7 and so I cannot find any options to format it. I also downloaded the WD diagnostic tool, burnt it to a disk but it doesnt do anything when I boot with the disk in the drive, I changed my boot setting so the CD drive boots first to see if that helped but it still made no difference.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:28 PM

Unless I am over looking something here posted above, I want to say that if a hard drive is new and contains no data, the Windows 7 OS will automatically do what is needed to make the drive write-able, in other words it is designed to automatically format the hard drive in the NTFS format before it installs the set up files needed to perform the installation of the complete operating system.

Boot to the Windows OS disk, it should find the hard drive automatically and offer that drive as an installation source and do the necessary formating before proceeding with the install.

There is no need to pre-format a hard drive with NTFS operating systems, this is only the case with FAT32 or FAT16 OSes.

Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 2000 are NTFS file systems.

Windows 95, 98 and Windows ME are FAT32 Operating systems and require a DOS installation proceedure.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 25 July 2010 - 01:37 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 bfordz

bfordz

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:02 AM

"however the computer can't find my hard drive."

Is your hdd being recognized in your BIOS? If not, you'll have to fix that first. If it's being recognized is it recognized as the primary drive?
Without your hdd being recognized in your BIOS, nothing else with ever see it.

Can you test your hdd in another machine to see if it's faulty or if another machine will recognize it?

Can you test your WD Diagnostic disc in another machine to see if it was created correctly? That disc will test your drive and tell you whether your hdd was installed correctly but it has to be created correctly (must be a boot disc).

If your hdd is recognized in the BIOS, then your windows installation CD/DVD should partition and format your drive as part of the installation process. Just keep following the prompts to install the Windows software.

Brad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users