Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keeps restarting non-stop

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 aunggu2002

aunggu2002

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:20 AM

Hi guys,

I would be forever indebted if you all could help me find a viable solution. I have a project due in a few days and a bulk of my work is on my hard drive. I shut down the computer last night as I always do and this morning when I wake up, the computer refuses to work. It reboots constantly. The best it gets is that it makes it to the log-on screen then restarts. I found out that the blue screen of death was coming up because "number of disks is not adequate to create a raid". That is the reason that comes up when I press 'tab'/ 'f1' (not sure which one, I whack both and it comes to that screen).

I'm running windows XP professional version and I only have one SATA harddrive installed. Mine is a custom desktop that a buddy built for me 2 years ago using various parts so i don't know how that would play a factor. That's the way it has been for 2 years and it has worked fine. I have made NO changes to the system, haven't installed anything new, or downloaded anything risky in the last week. I also have full anti-virus and firewall so I doubt that a virus could've caused this and seeing as how I haven't made any systems changes, I'm thinking the problem could be some mechanical or hardware failure?

I found a similar thread on here where the user encountered "number of disks is not adequate to create a raid" message and was told to replace the CMOS battery. I switched out the CMOS battery on my desktop and replaced it with my other desktop's CMOS battery and the problem persists. Only thing is that the other desktop also restarts sometimes and if the problem is CMOS battery, the other battery that I swapped in could be equally faulty. I bought a new one for $5 but I'm hesitant in putting that in if the problem could be something else.

People say RAID is not supposed to be enabled unless there are 2 hard drives but I haven't changed anything and it was defaulting to RAID setting. Under RAID, the BIOS was showing "not detected" for primary IDE master, primary ide slave, secondary and third. When I switch the bios setting from RAID to IDE, the BIOS does detect "hard disk" under primary IDE master, but nothing else and the problem still persists. That's another thing that makes me think the problem is not CMOS battery because as far as I understand it, a shot CMOS battery would mean that the BIOS settings I'm manually changing shouldn't be saved from reboot to the next reboot? Yet, when I change the onboard SATA-IDE settings from RAID to IDE or vice versa, it seems to save that and still continues with the constant blue screen of death and reboot.

What CAN I DOOOOOOOO?? Please help. Free cookies.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCED.

Edited by aunggu2002, 22 July 2010 - 02:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 aunggu2002

aunggu2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:38 AM

Also, here is what my BIOS Settings are currently on that I feel might help.

PRIMARY IDE MASTER: HARD DISK
PRIMARY IDE SLAVE: NOT DETECTED
SECONDARY IDE MASTER: NOT DETECTED
SECONDARY IDE SLAVE: NOT DETECTED
THIRD IDE MASTER (SATA 1): NOT DETECTED
FOURTH IDE MASTER (SATA 2): CD/DVD ROM

ONBOARD PCI IDE CONTROLLER: BOTH
ONBOARD SATA-IDE: IDE

#3 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:03 AM

I would definately put the New Battery in.

It could just be as simple as that, Mate, but make sure you alter the BIOS settings for time and date and Boot Order? Changing the Battery reverts BIOS back to Default when it was first built. You may also need to let it detect your SATA Drive? That is another Problem, SATA and IDE are different as can be to BIOS.

Ray

Edited by Drovers Dog, 22 July 2010 - 04:08 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#4 aunggu2002

aunggu2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:32 AM

I would definately put the New Battery in.

It could just be as simple as that, Mate, but make sure you alter the BIOS settings for time and date and Boot Order? Changing the Battery reverts BIOS back to Default when it was first built. You may also need to let it detect your SATA Drive? That is another Problem, SATA and IDE are different as can be to BIOS.

Ray

I will -- but in the meantime, any hint on how I should change the time/ date/ and make it detect my bios and what I set it all to? I'm not very good at bios stuff.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

#5 aunggu2002

aunggu2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:35 AM

Still waiting on any tips. :thumbsup:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:34 AM

BIOS settings, screens, etc...are very different from system to system.

You haven't told us system manufacturer and model...you haven't told us motherboard manufacturer and model.

Without that type of information...it's practically impossible for anyone who does not have your system...to advise you on BIOS settings and/or screens.

"Tips" on such...are usually found in either the system owner's manual, the motherboard manual...or the website of either the system manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer.

How to access-enter Motherboard BIOS - http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Howstuffworks How BIOS Works - http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bios.htm/printable

How to replace the CMOS battery. - http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm

Louis

#7 aunggu2002

aunggu2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:01 PM

Hey guys, my computer is still restarting non-stop and I'm trying to fix it. It just start doing this a few days ago and I didn't install any new software or hardware recently. I am unable to enter safe mode, but able to access my BIOS settings.

It says "the number of disks is not adequate to create a raid". Even when I go into BIOS and switch from RAID to IDE, it still does the same thing.

I have an elitegroup ECS k8t890-A motherboard and a seagate barracuda 7200.9 300gb harddrive. The system is a 2+ ghz duo core processor with 1 gig ram.

The computer is over 2 years old and I'm not sure what to do. Please help?

Thank you

Edited by aunggu2002, 24 July 2010 - 07:02 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,469 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:22 PM

Manual for board, http://download.ecs.com.tw/dlfileecs/manua...k8/K8T890-A.pdf.

Read chapter 3, please. See page 33 and reset the SATA-IDE...you don't want a RAID.

After change is made, hit F10, system reboots.

Louis

#9 aunggu2002

aunggu2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:38 PM

Manual for board, http://download.ecs.com.tw/dlfileecs/manua...k8/K8T890-A.pdf.

Read chapter 3, please. See page 33 and reset the SATA-IDE...you don't want a RAID.

After change is made, hit F10, system reboots.

Louis

Hi Louis,

Thank you for the resource. I read chapter 3 in general and page 33 regarding BIOS settings in particular. All settings are like that indicated in the examples of the guide and I have set the SATA-IDE to IDE and restarted, yet the problem persists. The BIOS is retaining my manual IDE setting, but it still restarts. There are three options -- disabled, ide or raid, I chose IDE. Am I supposed to choose IDE? If so I don't know why it keeps happening still. :thumbsup:

What else can I try? I'm desperate.

Edited by aunggu2002, 24 July 2010 - 07:42 PM.

#10 aunggu2002

aunggu2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:13 PM

The blue screen of death was so fast that I used my video camera and slowed it way down to see the codes. This is what the blue screen of death is throwing:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

TECHNICAL INFORMATION:

***STOP: 0X000000050 (0XF7F003DS.0X0000000.0X8052B6C0.0X000000)

Does this help me in finding out how to fixt he problem in any way?

Edited by aunggu2002, 24 July 2010 - 08:16 PM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,469 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:14 AM

The BIOS setting should be IDE.

Did you replace the CMOS battery, as previously suggested?

Louis

#12 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:35 PM

if you have been change the battery and still have that problem...
please use jumper on your hardrive and sets it to slave...and lets see if that still occur...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#13 aunggu2002

aunggu2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:07 PM

The BIOS setting should be IDE.

Did you replace the CMOS battery, as previously suggested?

Louis

Hey Louis,

Should I replace the battery even though the BIOS seems to be retaining the IDE setting that I put? If the battery was the fault, shouldn't it not be holding the IDE setting and keep reverting to RAID?

If you think it will help, please say so, I will do it. Thanks.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,469 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:26 PM

Attempting to repair computers...long-distance...is not so much arriving at an "answer"...as it is trying to do things to eliminate suspects, IMO.

Replacing the CMOS battery certainly can't hurt your situation, it's cheap, and it's easy (if it's a desktop system).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users