Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Is it safe????

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hipityhopscott_*

Guest_hipityhopscott_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:04 PM

The action center has been on my case about backing up my files. When I performed the action my only choice is to put them on my DVD/CD drive..
there's a warning that doing this is not safe. I'm considering downloading FBackup that comes with password protection.
How safe would it be to backup internally with a program like FBackup.

Thank you -Scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Theid

Theid

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:52 PM

It really isn't necessary to back up your files, especially if you don't have a secondary hard drive or other back up medium.

If you go into the Action Center, you will be able to change the settings for backing up to not be monitored by the Action Center. This should stop it from bugging you.

#3 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:29 PM

It really isn't necessary to back up your files

Uh... not if you don't' care about LOSING all your data, personal files like family pictures, important work documents, etc...

I'm not sure what you mean by "safe". Are you just talking safe from losing or destruction, or safe as in confidential to prying eyes?

You don't really want to back up to the same hard drive, since if it crashes, you could lose you back up as well.
I would recommend an external usb hard drive to back up any important files you want to keep.

Edited by AustinTerry, 28 July 2010 - 04:07 PM.

#4 tenz

tenz

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:39 AM

I agree with Terry and his post above.

The only time you should use an internal device for a backup is if it is a SEPARATE drive. I mean a separate physical drive, not a separate partition on your existing drive.

That being said, an internal backup is only so secure. It will protect your files if your main drive fails, but in cases of flood, fire, power surge etc... you may lose both your main and backup drive. So an internal backup should be only one part of a backup routine.

I have a backup on a seperate internal drive, which is then backed up again onto an external drive which is kept at a different location than the PC. This will give you some redundancy incase the worst happens.

If you want to be doubly sure about things, in addition to a local backup, you can utilize an online backup system to backup your important files also.

#5 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:52 AM

I concur. If the data isn't valuable to you then a backup isn't necessary. If you value the data then you should ALWAYS back it up to a separate drive (internal or external) or via CD/DVD/BD media.

#6 OmegaWolf747

OmegaWolf747

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:02 PM

I back up to a FreeAgent drive that I can unplug from the laptop. These days, you can also back up to USB sticks and microSDHC cards. It has never been so cheap and simple to back up our data and then to back up the backup.

What is this Internet you speak of?

#7 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:10 AM

Backing up with password protection gives extra protection if the the backup media is stolen but making several copies of a backup on different media is better than just one backup.

My desktop and laptop client all have their own ext hd's to backup to which in turn are backed up again to another set of ext hd's, they are then both backed up to network drives which are in turn are backed up to another set of ext hd's.

You can never have too many backups only too little.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#8 t3chie

t3chie

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:23 PM

My desktop and laptop client all have their own ext hd's to backup to which in turn are backed up again to another set of ext hd's, they are then both backed up to network drives which are in turn are backed up to another set of ext hd's.

That's all? :huh:

No, but really the investment of backups will almost always outweigh the loss of data from a hard drive failure.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” - Mahatma Gandhi

#9 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:57 PM

Backing up with password protection gives extra protection if the the backup media is stolen but making several copies of a backup on different media is better than just one backup.

Very true, just don't lose that password! :huh:

#10 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:14 PM

That's all? :huh:

No, but really the investment of backups will almost always outweigh the loss of data from a hard drive failure.

There,s more too much to mention :huh:

Making sure what is to backed up is clean as well.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#11 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:17 PM

Very true, just don't lose that password! :huh:

And to confuse use different passwords for different backups. :huh:

Edited by Darth sidious, 02 August 2010 - 07:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users