Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Down in Laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BlackWaltz

BlackWaltz

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:28 PM

It's been slow for a while, but it's getting worse and after trying to fix it, it doesn't get better at all.
Things that used to run well can hardly run, even opening folders.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/ipxih1dFpuU2A7T1vvnSSvS

EDIT: Removed DDS log, not allowed in XP forum, no indication of malware issues ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 24 July 2010 - 04:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackWaltz

BlackWaltz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:08 PM

Felt this needed mentioning--
If there is no way to make it faster, but restarting the entire computer would make it work, I'm up for that.
I have no CD though. /ok

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:25 PM

I suggest that you read the following: Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/87058/slow-computerbrowser-check-here-first;-it-may-not-be-malware/

A system slows down for many reasons, many of which are covered in the link above.

Malware removal logs...such as the ones you attached...are intended to be used for known/suspected cases of malware...not for general computer problems which may be handled in the XP forum.

Louis

#4 BlackWaltz

BlackWaltz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:45 PM

Sadly, I did all of this except for . . . cleaning the inside of the laptop.
The screw is stripped or something, so I can not take the keyboard out (I guess I'll have to go buy tools for it now, eh?).

The thing that makes me write off on that is when you look at the first link I put up, it shows my temp is at 62* which I believe is no where near over heating. Yet, it is noticeably slow to the point of where I can count to at least ten while opening folders (not even ones with many files).

My CPU usage goes to 40% or so if I open a folder. If I'm playing a game called 'Ragnarok Online', it goes to 80-100% usage while walking through 'doors'.
It didn't happen over time, so I'm not thinking it's because of my computer slowly degrading or filling up. I'm up for just resetting the whole thing as I already removed many things my computer had while attempting to free up space.

#5 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:41 PM

62 degree is near over heating...some BIOS have some default setting on autoshutdown in 65 degree...
try a couple software to check the heat...just to make sure that you not get over heat problem...dont use one software...sometime a software cant make some error reading...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:03 PM

62 degrees...Celsius...will indicate overheating for many CPUs, let alone the other components inside a laptop. 60 degrees Celsius will probably be the listed max operating temp for a hard drive.

But, you are right...your CPU range seems to extend up to 95 degrees Celsius.

OTOH...your hard drive temperature is higher than should be expected by me...even considering that it is a laptop. Hard drives where the temp refflected is over 50...are a matter of concern, IMO. You might want to run the appropriate diagnostic on that.

Louis

Overheating has been known to cause the effects that you cite.

Edited by hamluis, 24 July 2010 - 06:07 PM.

#7 BlackWaltz

BlackWaltz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:11 PM

If 60 is the danger level then I guess you are right. I wrote it off like I said earlier because of how I read my laptop doesn't care about heat till 95* or so.

Ahm, I'll get back to this thread after I get something to extract the screws.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users