Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Menu Bar disappeared

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:28 PM

I was messing around trying to switch the dock off and when I did it made my menu bars go, too. I also (stupidly) un-clicked start on login so idk how to get it back. I got lucky and had a file browser open, found terminal so that I could launch firefox, otherwise I'd be staring at a blank desktop still.

I'm running Ubuntu 10 64-bit. I think the dock was called Avant or something, if that's even relevant. Please help, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:05 PM

Have you tried right clicking on the top bar and choosing add to panel?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:02 PM

No, the bars are what disappeared. And with it all the menus that were on them. I can only find a few useful things through the file system, and I'm a total amateur with Terminal.

#4 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:55 PM

gnome-panel
got everything back for me. Except the dock, but I wanted that gone anyway.

#5 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:05 AM

Actually, that only works until I close the terminal window, at which point everything disappears again. At least I've got some functionality back though. If someone knows how I can get this to startup on login, I'd appreciate the help. Thanks.

#6 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

WhatTheTech Teacher

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:44 AM

Although its not a complete fix, a workaround may be to add gnome-panel as an autostart program.

System -> Preferences -> Startup Applications
Click Add, and set Command to /usr/bin/gnome-panel

As I say, not a real fix for the original problem, but should make the symptoms go away.
Trained at the What The Tech Classroom where you too could learn to help others.

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show appreciation and to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:34 AM

You pay want to reinstall gnome via sudo apt-get install gnome-panel

#8 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:04 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Oddly enough, when I started my computer this morning the menu bar and dock were back. Pretty strange. If it goes all Casper on me again, I'll try one of those.

I have to say, since I updated a few days ago to Ubuntu 10 I've had nothing but problems. I can't get my monitors to configure correctly--keeps telling me to restart the X server. I did, no dice. At least I think I did going by suggestions I found while searching. ctrl+alt+backspace Nothing actually happens when I do it, so idk if that's normal or what.

Plus the performance is really choppy, and at times completely freezes for a few seconds at a time. There's a few other minor bugs as well, but they're all annoying nonetheless.

Mostly because before I updated this computer flew. Now it takes a lot longer to startup, shutdown, ect. Any suggestions as to why this may be, and what I can do to remedy it? Can I just roll back to version 9? Thanks for the help, everyone.

#9 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:03 AM

Try using an older kernel version and see if that helps with the performance.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users