Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes while loading Windows files... (during startup)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ttillman

ttillman

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:06 PM

I have an HP Pavillion a6500f. When booting up the PC the screen will get to the white scrolling bar (Windows Loading Files...) then it freezes. Sometimes it will make it past this screen, only to freeze on the next screen.

I have downloaded the Hatachi h/d repair disk to boot from the CD. The 1st boot priority is CD-ROM and the 2nd boot priority is set to hatachi. Then I shut down the PC, restart it and wait for the screen asking to press any key to boot from the CD. But that screen never appears. It still goes to the white scrolling bar (Windows Loading Files...).

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm not highly proficient in computer terminology so perhaps I missed a step or two. I work from home, and have already lost several weeks time on this (I was initially in the malware forum section). Please advise at your earliest convenience.

I appreciate your service!

Edited: I think I'm getting closer to determining why this isn't booting from the CD. But, I still need major assistance, FAST! I am operating Vista x64. I see on some forums where x64 could be an issue. I just wanted to add that.

Edited by ttillman, 24 July 2010 - 10:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:04 PM

Related post at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/329131/infected-badly-w-virus-unable-to-keep-system-on-log-enough-to-resolve/.

Louis

#3 ttillman

ttillman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:27 PM

Have you read that post? I was advised to post under this section of the forum.

Perhaps the post above was just for your reference. Thanks, and I'm really looking forward to getting this resolved! Getting more nervous by the minute. :thumbsup:

Edited by ttillman, 24 July 2010 - 06:43 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:02 PM

Yes, I read that post.

It helps if those trying to help...know what led up to your current situation and why it was suggested that you post here.

A complete picture...of your situation...is better than what you previously provided, IMO. The steps that you took which led to the conclusion that it's a hardware problem...are important, IMO.

Louis

#5 ttillman

ttillman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:32 PM

You're absolutely right - makes perfect sense! Thank YOU! :thumbsup: I'm waiting desperately on this site hoping for a resolution. My fingers are crossed for a successful workday on Monday.

#6 ttillman

ttillman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:15 AM

I'd like to add, I have Vista x64. I see where there are issues with the download repair disks for this version. Is there an online version of the download for Vista x64?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:46 AM

The operating system used...has nothing to do with any hard drive diagnostic used from CD/floppy.

Who is the manufacturer of your hard drive?

Louis

#8 ttillman

ttillman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:50 AM

OK, excellent. Hatachi is the maker of my hard drive.

Note: I tried burning a Hatachi repair version, once already, using ImgBurn but the PC still isn't reading properly from the disk. The screen goes to the 'Windows Loading Files..." screen with the white scrolling bar.

Edited by ttillman, 26 July 2010 - 11:05 AM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:30 AM

I'd have to assume that you haven't made the Hitachi disk properly.

How to write a CD-DVD image or ISO - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/

How to successfully burn or write an ISO-image to cd or dvd - http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm

Louis

#10 ttillman

ttillman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:56 PM

I have confirmed now that the CD is burned correct. I tested it on my x32 bit laptop and it booted up to the install screen. However, the same CD does not work on my x64 bit PC. The screen now gets through the white scrolling bar (Windows Loading Files...) and goes to the blank black screen, then stops. I can't seem to get past that screen now.

Please advise...

Thanks.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:26 PM

Try a different optical drive...or run the diagnostic on a different system, with your drive attached/connected.

Louis

#12 ttillman

ttillman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:47 PM

How do I run the hard drive on a different system????

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:09 AM

You remove your hard drive...attach it to a different system...and run the CD reflecting the diagnostic..on a different system. I would attach it directly...but some prefer those USB enclosures. I prefer direct attachment because I don't believe that all diagnostics will necessarily recognize a drive contained in a USB-connected enclosure which relies on the functioning of XP USB drivers....don't know, I've not tried it.

The diagnostic will typically only work on the specific hard drive for which it was developed...all other drives are pretty much ignored.

Louis

#14 ttillman

ttillman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:16 PM

I have no idea how to remove a hard drive. I'll research this on the Internet and let you know how it goes.

#15 Jaspar

Jaspar

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:12 AM

I was able to fix this problem by just booting a 64 bit boot wim from the wds server and then power off the machine and then boot from the 32 bit wim and it worked

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users