Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bsod in windows xp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 blogging.j

blogging.j

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:03 PM

I know there are several posts about bsod, but my problem isn't exactly the same, so I decided to post here. I have windows xp sp3 and I'm on dialup. I also run mcafee virusscan plus. I run a scan 3 times a week. I also run ccleaner 1 a week and malwarebytes every other week. Last night I was trying to disconnect my ipod and I kept getting a windows no disk message that then switched to this application is in use. Sometimes I get this message when it is trying to log me out of itunes and disconnect the ipod at the same time. I hit cancel twice and instantly I get the bsod. This is the first time I've gotten this(I've had the computer for about three years). In the bsod message under technical info I had the following information: STOP:0X0000007E and it referenced mfehidk.sys. When I rebooted, I didn't get the message again, instead I got a pop-up from microsoft windows that said the following: the system has recovered from a serious error.

After a google search I found out that the mfehidk.sys is part of mcafee.

I have no idea what to do. Should I be worried? Is it a mcafee thing that caused it? An itunes problem? I have no idea what to do or where to go. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:06 PM

I would try uninstalling whatever McAfee application is installed (using Add/Remove Programs)...and then reinstalling it.

The 7E is a driver STOP error/BSOD...and any McAfee application has drivers.

Drivers can become damaged and cause problems...at any time. The typical cure is to remove the injured/damage files..and reinstall ones that aren't damaged.

Louis

#3 blogging.j

blogging.j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:43 PM

Is there a way to fix the individual file?

#4 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:01 PM

you can copy that file from another computer or from the setup...but that was 50% chance will work and 50% make your OS corupted...
so do it with the easier ways...uninstall your mcaffe and install it again...and see what happen...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users