Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing underlying programs not in Start Up

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ljordanm

ljordanm

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:55 PM

I discovered Bleeping Computer as I was googling to identify the various programs that are loaded on my laptop. It melted down in the middle of the night, for unknown reasons. After checkdisk it started up again but stalled for a long time before loading the desktop. I ran Task Manager and found that during that time it was loading dozens of processes. I went to msconfig and observed what was left checked in the Startup applications. There were maybe a dozen of them. With Bleeping Computer's help I got rid of everything unnecessary and now have only 8 programs in Startup. Then I rebooted Windows. It hung up again while loading multiple programs. Task Manager said it loaded 28 processes!

At least one of these I recognized as an update service. It is for Roxio. I uninstalled Roxio long ago as it never worked right for me on any computer I have had. Now it is looking for a Roxio update over the net. I also notice that on all 4 of my computers there seem to be programs which are constantly looking for updates and slowing the system down vastly. It appears to me that almost every program I install will also install an update program, usually without my approval, and I can't figure out where to go to find them and uncheck them.

I have been using computers for over 20 years and have always thought that the way to not use unwanted programs is uncheck them in the Startup list. What am I missing here? There seem to be loads of underlying programs that I don't know how to touch.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:50 PM

<<I have been using computers for over 20 years and have always thought that the way to not use unwanted programs is uncheck them in the Startup list. What am I missing here? There seem to be loads of underlying programs that I don't know how to touch.>>

<<I went to msconfig and observed what was left checked in the Startup applications.>>

Well...msconfig is not a startup manager...and does not list all startup items...so those who attempt to use it to manage startups are kind of fooling themselves.

To manage startups, a user needs a program designed to reflect all startup items...and which is designed to be a startup control of some sort. Msconfig is a troubleshooting tool, designed to be used in certain situations where the user has boot problems.

There are tons of startup managers which do what msconfig does not do...provide users with a detailed listing of all startup items and locations. Among them:

Starter (for Startups) - http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-...k/Starter.shtml

Startup Control Panel - http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Startup Inspector - http://www.windowsstartup.com/startupinspector.php

There is also a program called Autoruns, which I consider the best tool. I hesitate to mention it to some users, particularly those who don't bother to read instructions before they start playing with programs. This program lists every item that begins at startup, including Windows files, drivers, etc. The items typically considered as "startups" are on the Logon tab of this program.

AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

You also seem to have a misunderstanding about how to prevent a program from running.

Eliminating/disabling a startup entry...does nothing more than prevent that program from running automatically at boot. It will still run when manually started in the normal fashion...using shortcuts, the All Programs list, etc. It's still installed on the system.

To remove worthless or unwanted programs...they must be uninstalled via Add/Remove Programs.

Also...there is no real correlation between what is seen in Task Manager...and what startup items are seen as enabled. Task Manager includes any number of valid Windows processes (e.g., iexplore.exe, system idle process, etc.) which users generally need to just leave alone.

If you want to delve into what's running in Task Manager, you will need a tool like that mentioned in the following: How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/list-services-running-under-svchost.exe-process/

...and you will have to use Google to look up what unknown listed items...might be.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users