Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to send e-mail through AIM SMTP

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 alien_fx_fiend

alien_fx_fiend

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:34 PM

I cannot send a message through the aim smtp server (I can view IMAP server based emails fine though). I have it configured correctly, but when sending it simply says connected, and then after a minute I get a connection timed out error message, is it because I have a few windows xp sp3 services disabled+stopped, do I need any services in particular, do I need to enable firewall access, cause I didn't get a firewall message while trying this on Seamonkey email client. Btw, before this I have tried opening e-mail from yahoo using Freepops and Y!Pops but they haven't worked either, I have tried Freepops and Y!Pops twice already, but staying on topic I really want to get smtp to work with my aim mail. these are the configuration settings according to aim settings > IMAP and POP (I am using IMAP currently under seamonkey built-in email client) (actual login info has been obscured):

"IMAP Setup Information
Email Address: ***************@aim.com
IMAP Username: ***************
Incoming Mail Server: imap.aim.com
SMTP Outgoing Server Address: smtp.aim.com
Set the port to 587
SMTP Username: ***************@aim.com
SMTP Password: same as used to login to Mail
For a secure connection check the SSL option for IMAP/POP and TSL for SMTP in your mail program.

POP Setup Information
Email Address: ***************@aim.com
POP Username: ***************
Incoming Mail Server: pop.aim.com
Remember to check the option for leaving messages on the server
SMTP Outgoing Server Address: smtp.aim.com
Set the port to 587
SMTP Username: ***************@aim.com
SMTP Password: same as used to login to Mail
For a secure connection check the SSL option for IMAP/POP and TSL for SMTP in your mail program."

Basically it says connected to smtp.aol.com and then it stalls and I get a connection timed out error message. Any help in getting this resolved would be much appreciated, I'm a computer neophyte and I don't know about things like "port forwarding" etc. not that this has anything to do with SMTP, nor does AIM state that port forwarding is needed, but I'm just stating that theres some error somewhere that I can't seem to pinpoint and correct, perhaps I should get a gmail address?

Also it's worth noting that recently I have been experiencing problems when transferring my files to photobucket as well, perhaps theres some conflict with my flash and java plugins, I switched from mozilla firefox to mozilla sea-monkey, although habbo seems to work fine with sea-monkey, I had to uninstall and reinstall flash and java cause I was having difficulties with my browser.

Edited by alien_fx_fiend, 24 July 2010 - 12:38 PM.

~The Worlds Deceit Has Raped My Soul, We Melt The Plastic People Down Then We Melt Their Plastic Town~

alien.PNG

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 alien_fx_fiend

alien_fx_fiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:05 PM

[Update] I suppose it's alright now as I finally found out the windows live mail (already installed on my computer) offers offline client support for sending and receiving e-mails, which will dramatically alter the way I sign-up to forums and such, though I'm not too familiar with hotmails t.o.s I hope to familiarize with it soon. :thumbsup: Also I read that they offer 25gb for storage, which is plenty (esp. if I delete older activation links and such and maintain such a list on lastpass instead), I just need to know for sure whether this is referring to e-mail or their storage system known as skydrive (where I do have two files (both ebooks) stored).

Edited by alien_fx_fiend, 27 July 2010 - 01:14 PM.

~The Worlds Deceit Has Raped My Soul, We Melt The Plastic People Down Then We Melt Their Plastic Town~

alien.PNG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users