Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

X1800xl Or Bfg 7800 Gt?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 23 October 2005 - 01:27 PM

hmm. . either I actually forgot the 'ed' on started or it was too long.
anyway,

Hi again.

I have gotten my computer and i'm loving it. However, I still need to finish off my list by getting a few more things, new speakers (maybe a soundcard, but the mobo has onboard 7.1 I believe anyway) and a video card to replace this x300 that came with it.

Now, I still haven't exactly sold my old BFG 6800 gt yet, but I still need to try so I can at least relieve the burdon a little. My topic of debate here is based on the video card's capabilities, I am split between which card to get. I've read that both series perform about the same, give or take some performance in the tests done, but I don't know what video card to save up for in the end.

I'd be using the card most for the gaming factor, but I do some video editing here and there too so I'd be hoping that the next card I get will last me quite a while. Also, something else that has been on my mind, I have read something about dx10 and saw some kind of farcry movie saying new capabilities or something like that and have read that dx10 games would require dx10 cards unless you had some kind of software that would allow lower cards to play the game but at a big performance cost. If this is very close in the future, then by all means I can probably wait, but I don't know anymore information that that.

Would anybody have any recomendations that are possibly minimal to favoring a purchase just because of brand? Now i'd kind of prefer nvidia a little because I had a bad experience on my older dell with an x800 pro, but that was known problem for that series of dells so I am willing to get whatever will give me the greatest abilities on my new computer.

thanks,
wizdabest

Edited by Wizdabest, 23 October 2005 - 01:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 23 October 2005 - 04:29 PM

I've always went with nvidiaa: because the linux drivers are top notch
b: because everyone i know with an ATI card has had problems
I've never had a video related problem

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 Wizdabest

Wizdabest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2005 - 05:34 PM

Yea, my friend's brother has had a past problem with an ATI card as well.

hmm..

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 23 October 2005 - 06:11 PM

I've also been hearing about this or that problem with ATI, specially the drivers. But I do have a friend with an x800 pro and he hasn't had any problems with it whatsoever, which probably is the only part of the computer he hasn't managed so screw up.

Still, I went with Nvidia, and the 7800GTX, but then again, the X1800 series wasn't out at the time.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 Wizdabest

Wizdabest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 04:45 PM

Hmm, something else has come up.

A local place looks like they're having a huge sale. One of the items looks to be a MSI 7800gt for like $375 or so as compared to going to like best buy for the $450 BFG 7800 gt. It also looks like they're having a huge sale if you buy more than one too... kinda wish I'd have gotten the sli board so I could try that out..

Hmm... do you think a BFG 7800 going to be worth paying the like 70-80 bucks for? I think BFG has good cards because I have a BFG 6800 gt on my other computer and they're all slightly overclocked.

#6 Wizdabest

Wizdabest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2005 - 07:41 PM

yea, forget about that sale thing, for some reason we got an e-mail that was intended for resellers.

but anyway, so far, I am 4 hours into being a happy MSI NX7800 gt (lite) owner.

:thumbsup:

-wizdabest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users