Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Turn off Dell Touchpad and related drivers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Artemisia

Artemisia

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:07 AM

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop using Windows 7. I've disabled the touchpad (I hate it!) through the Dell driver (Alps) program installed with the computer.
The only thing is I don't want those drivers to load so the touchpad can be disabled. I just want it off without any extra drivers running in the background.
I tried removing the touchpad driver in startup but then the touchpad starts working again because the driver isn't loaded to tell it to turn off.

How do I simply disable the touchpad and all related drivers so the darn thing doesn't run at all? I can't stand the touchpad but love the mobility of a laptop.

Thank you.
So confused.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:14 AM

This should help:

http://www.killertechtips.com/2009/04/30/d...-touchpad-dell/

#3 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:17 PM

I hate the touchpad as well but I recommend that you choose the option that only disables the touchpad when another mouse is attached. That way if you ever need to operate your laptop without the mouse you will be able to use the touchpad. The only bad thing about that option is that when you boot the laptop you get an annoying message telling you that the touchpad has been disabled.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#4 Artemisia

Artemisia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:47 PM

Thanks guys but I've tried that already. It does work but my problem is that the drivers for the touchpad keep loading.

For example, my Task Manager shows these processes running for the touchpad even though I have it off:
hidfind.exe
Apoint.exe
ApntEx.exe

I don't want these processes to load so the touchpad can be disabled. I want the entire touchpad disabled without extra drivers running on the system. If I try to end any of these processes the touchpad turns itself back on.
So confused.

#5 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:53 PM

You shouldn't have to uninstall the driver. You should be able to disable it in the control panel under the mouse proporties.

But if you insist... you will have to uninstall the driver through add/remove programs in the control panel.

Edited by Neil B., 24 July 2010 - 03:54 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:58 PM

Have you tried simply disabling the touchpad...in the BIOS?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users