Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sharing a printer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,080 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:55 AM

I NEED TO SHARE MY PRINTER with my wifes PC.
Both PC's running xp pro.
I have set permissions on my PC. I went through this step fairly slowly......and thought i got everything right....but obviously not !!
When i try to access the printer from the other PC....it puts up the message "access denied"
I probably need to start again.
Can anybody out there give me a "blow by blow" set of steps to follow??
Condobloke.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Edit: E-mail address was removed for your safety. Please, do not post your E-mail address in an open forum. This could lead to a lot more SPAM in your inbox, than you may want. ~tg1911

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:13 AM

1. Install the printer on your PC. You will need the driver.
2. Share the printer on your PC. You will need the driver again
3. install the printer as a network printer on your wifes PC pointing it at the shared printer on your PC.

that is really it there should be no need to configure anything else. What "permissions" did you set on your PC?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:21 PM

If you have the printer installed and shared on your PC then you need to use the option on your wife's computer to install a network printer. That option will allow you to browse any shared printers on your network. Once you find the printer attached to your PC in the list, select it. This will install the driver from your PC to your wife's PC. If the printer doesn't show in the list of shared network printers then you need to recheck that you have the printer shared and that you have printer and file sharing turned on.

Edited by strolln, 24 July 2010 - 01:24 PM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:12 PM

From Condobloke

"Thanks for your help.
The printer is already installed on my PC.
If i go to printers and faxes, and right click on the printer, then select properties.
I then click on the security tab. There are a number of 'users'...including Admin,creator owner,everyone,power users,users brians users.
I have granted 'permission' for all these users to 'print'
Whether this was necessary or not, I would not be sure.
on my wifes PC, i uninstalled all printers, so as to start with a clean slate.
Clicked on add a printer.
Given a choice...plug and play printer....No.
or....network printer attached to another computer......Yes.
if i click on browse for a printer....it finds nothing
the next box asks for the url of the printer....i have no idea what this is.
Brian "

Okay.....When sharing a printer on a basic network no changes to the security tab need to be made. If you take away the wrong permissions they will not be able to print and manage their documents correctly. Without knowing exactly what you changed I would start over by uninstalling and re-installing the printer on you PC that will reset the permissions to their default settings. Since you cannot find the printer by browsing when trying to install you need to check two things. First are you both in the same workgroup? This is listed in the computer name tab of my computer properties. This needs to be identical. Second if you are using a firewall (and i hope you are) you will need to allow you wife to see your computer and you to see her's since printing is a bi-directional activity. a good check to see if you have it setup correctly is to browse the workgroup from my network places. If you cannot see the other computer listed in the workgroup you do not have access to any of the shared items on that computer.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users