Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony VAIO PCG-GRT40ZP DVD RW Drive not working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Student01

Student01

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:23 AM

Hi,

So i'm trying to format this very old laptop. Still working great. So in order for me to format, i believe i need to use the application recovery disk (there are 4 of them). so when my laptop is completely shut off, i inserted the disk and then turn on my laptop.

What should happen, a menu should pop up or something? telling me what i should do. Apparently, the DVD Drive cannot recognize my disk. In fact, it can't even recognize any disk i insert in. What should i do to format this laptop and have some application recovered? I believe i need the Windows XP OS and it's in my recovery disk i think.

Student01

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Student01

Student01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:40 AM

Hello,

I believe an alternative is to go into the BIOS System by pressing the ESC key at the start up of the computer, and changing the boot drive to a Removeable Drive.

Since I got recovery Disk, i can only think of using an External DVD Drive and plug it into a USB Port and then go into BIOS System and then changing the boot to that USB drive. the problem is, I cannot seem to find the Removeable drive. i can only see:

Optical Drive (but it doesn't work)
Network (what is that?)
Floppy Drive (what is that?)
Hard Disk Drive

Student01

Posted Image

#3 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:36 AM

have you enable usb (storage)???
if you doesnt enable it your external usb dvd drive will not reconigzed...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users